A secure email you receive from our agencies is called Microsoft Encrypted Email.
How can I tell if I received an encrypted email?
A Microsoft Encrypted Email will have the statement “(Name) has sent you a protected message.”
You can only read and reply to encrypted emails from our agencies if you have a Microsoft account or use a one-time passcode.
To create a Microsoft account:
- Go to Microsoft's Create An Account webpage.
- Follow the instructions to create your account. The email address you enter must be the one that received the encrypted email.
- You will be asked to provide a birthdate. You may use any date.
- You will receive an email with a verification code. Enter the code in the field provided.
- Microsoft will send a confirmation email once your account is created. You can now decrypt and read emails sent from HHS using this email address.
To use a one-time passcode:
- Open the email and click on Read the Message.
- Click on Sign in with a one-time passcode.
- An additional email will be sent to your mailbox with a passcode. Enter it into the One-time passcode box and click Continue within 15 minutes of receipt.
- The encrypted email will then be viewable.