IDD Ombudsman

If you have questions or concerns about services for a person with an intellectual or developmental disability (IDD), the IDD Ombudsman can help. Complete our online form.

We can answer questions and help you resolve a complaint about the Home and Community-based Services (HCS) program, the Texas Home Living (TxHmL) program, or ;local IDD authority services.

We can help you:

  • Access IDD services.
  • Answer questions about programs and providers.
  • Find a way to solve problems with your services.
  • Understand your rights, including:
    • Exercising the same rights as other Texans.
    • Participating in decisions about your services.
    • Changing providers at any time.
    • Complaining about your services.
  • Connect to other resources.

Access the HHS Ombudsman Annual Report, which includes the IDD Ombudsman report here.

How to Get Help

Complaints can come from anyone — the person receiving services, family members, service providers, health care providers, authorized advocates, or community members. You can make a complaint over the phone or in writing.

There are four ways to contact us:

  1. Call: 800-252-8154 from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday

You will be asked to select a language, and then select Option 3, then press 8.

If you have a hearing or speech disability, call the toll-free Relay Texas service at 7-1-1 or 800-735-2989.

  1. Online: Submit your question or complaint online
  2. Mail: Texas Health and Human Services Commission
    IDD Ombudsman
    P.O. Box 13247
    Austin, TX 78711-3247
  3. Fax: 888-780-8099

Publications Explaining Your Rights

Visit our publications page, which includes handbooks for people receiving HCS, TxHmL, or LIDDA services.

How to Get Help with Other IDD Programs

Besides our office, you can call HHSC Regulatory Complaint & Incident Intake office at 800-458-9858 to make a complaint about the care, treatment or services received by people who live in:

  • Nursing homes
  • Assisted living facilities
  • Intermediate care facilities
  • State supported living centers

They also take complaints about people or companies that provide these services:

  • Home health
  • Hospice
  • Personal assistance
  • Day activity and health services

Other Resources