On Oct. 30, 2015, HHSC posted on the Texas Register the decisions made regarding Texas Health and Human Services advisory committees as required by S.B. 200, passed by the Texas Legislature in 2015. The posting includes a list of advisory committees to be reestablished in rule, committees that will not be continued, and those whose functions will be assumed by a new advisory committee. You can find an explanation of the review process, at the Texas Register. You also can view the list of recommendations (PDF).
The HHS executive commissioner, DSHS commissioner, governor and other legislators appoint HHS advisory committee members in accordance with the authorizing statute or rule. Learn more about advisory committee appointments made by the HHS executive commissioner. For more information on the HHSC advisory committee appointment process, please email HHS Appointments.
- Aging and Disability Resource Center Advisory Committee assists in developing and implementing an ADRC program in Texas to include program and policy development, designing and operating ADRCs, and obtaining stakeholder input.
- Aging Texas Well Advisory Committee advises HHSC and makes recommendations to state leadership on implementation of the Aging Texas Well Initiative.
- Behavioral Health Advisory Committee provides customer/consumer and stakeholder input by making recommendations regarding the allocation and adequacy of behavioral health services and programs within the state of Texas.
- Board for Evaluation of Interpreter Committee advises the HHS executive commissioner or the executive commissioner's designee on administering the interpreter certification program. The committee also helps develop the qualifications for each level of certification based on proficiency.
- Chronic Kidney Disease Task Force studies and makes recommendations on developing and implementing a cost-effective state plan for prevention, early screening, diagnosis, and management of chronic kidney disease for the state's population through national, state, and local partners; and educate health care professionals on the use of clinical practice guidelines for screening, detecting, diagnosing, treating, and managing chronic kidney disease, its comorbidities, and its complications.
- Council on Sex Offender Treatment sets forth the standards of practice for the sex offender treatment providers in the State.
- Drug Utilization Review Board develops and submits recommendations for the preferred drug list, suggests clinical prior authorizations on outpatient prescription drugs, recommends education interventions for Medicaid providers, and reviews drug usage across Medicaid programs.
- e-Health Advisory Committee advises the HHS executive commissioner and HHS agencies on strategic planning, policy, rules and services related to the use of health information technology, health information exchange systems, telemedicine, telehealth and home telemonitoring services.
- Early Childhood Intervention Advisory Committee advises the HHSC Division for Early Childhood Intervention Services on development and implementation of policies that constitute the statewide ECI system.
- Governor's Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and Trauma Advisory Council promotes, develops and maintains a comprehensive EMS/Trauma System that will meet the needs of all patients and that will raise the standards for community health care by implementing innovative techniques and systems for the delivery of emergency care for the entire population.
- Hospital Payment Advisory Committee, a subcommittee of the Medical Care Advisory Committee, advises MCAC and HHS about hospital reimbursement methodologies for inpatient hospital prospective payment and on adjustments for disproportionate share hospitals.
- Intellectual and Developmental Disability System Redesign Advisory Committee advises on the implementation of the acute care services and long-term services and supports system redesign for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Interagency Obesity Council monitors and evaluates obesity prevention efforts in the state of Texas for children and adults.
- Joint Committee on Access and Forensic Services develops recommendations for the bed day allocation methodology, the bed day utilization review protocol including a peer review process and advises on a comprehensive plan for coordination of forensic services.
- Long-term Care Facilities Council shall study and make recommendations regarding a more consistent survey and informal dispute resolution process for long-term care facilities, the Medicaid quality-based payment systems for these facilities, and the allocation of Medicaid beds in these facilities.
- Maternal Mortality and Morbidity Review Committee studies maternal mortality and morbidity by studying and reviewing cases of pregnancy-related deaths and trends in severe maternal morbidity, determining the feasibility of the task force studying cases of severe maternal morbidity, and recommending ways to help reduce the incidence of pregnancy-related deaths and severe maternal morbidity in Texas.
- Medical Advisory Board helps reduce traffic deaths, disability and injury by evaluating medical histories, providing medical opinions and making recommendations to the Texas Department of Public Safety regarding the medical limitations of referred driver licensees and candidates and concealed handgun licensees and candidates.
- Medical Care Advisory Committee is a federally mandated committee that reviews and makes recommendations to the state Medicaid director on proposed rules that involve Medicaid policy or affect Medicaid-funded programs.
- Newborn Screening Advisory Committee advises the Department of State Health Services regarding strategic planning, policy, rules, and services related to newborn screening.
- Nursing Facility Administrators Advisory Committee provides recommendations for licensure sanctions and rule changes for the Nursing Facility Administrator Licensing Program.
- Nursing Facility Payment Methodology Advisory Committee studies and makes recommendations on the development of a nursing facility reimbursement methodology that incentivizes quality care for people served in a nursing facility, and is cost-effective, streamlined and transparent.
- Palliative Care Interdisciplinary Advisory Council consults with and advises on matters related to the establishment, maintenance, operation and outcome evaluation of the statewide palliative care consumer and professional information and education program.
- Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome Advisory Council advises HHSC and the legislature on research, diagnosis, treatment and education related to pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome.
- Perinatal Advisory Council develops and recommends criteria for designating levels of neonatal and maternal care.
- Policy Council for Children and Families works to improve the coordination, quality, efficiency, and outcomes of services provided to children with disabilities and their families through the state's health, education, and human services systems.
- Preparedness Coordinating Council advises on activities regarding preparedness, training, planning, communications, and emergency response to public health and medical emergencies.
- Promotor(a) or Community Health Worker Training and Certification Advisory Committee advises on rules concerning training and regulation of promoters/community health workers.
- Psychiatric Executive Formulary Committee makes recommendations concerning drug use as well as maintains a closed formulary that lists drugs approved by the committee for use by service system components and their contractors.
- Public Health Funding and Policy Committee defines core public health services a local health entity should provide in a county or municipality; evaluates public health in the state and identifies initiatives for areas that need improvement; identifies funding sources available to local health entities; and establishes public health policy priorities.
- Sickle Cell Task Force raises public awareness of sickle cell disease and sickle cell trait.
- State Child Fatality Review Committee looks to reduce preventable child deaths by understanding the causes and incidences of child deaths, identifying procedures to reduce the number of preventable deaths, and promoting public awareness.
- State Medicaid Managed Care Advisory Committee provides recommendations and ongoing input on the statewide implementation and operation of Medicaid managed care.
- State Preventive Health Advisory Committee works with HHS to develop and implement the state plan for the Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant.
- Statewide Behavioral Health Coordinating Council develops, updates and oversees the implementation of the Texas Statewide Behavioral Health Strategic Plan which outlines a coordinated effort to address behavioral health gaps in services and systems.
- Statewide Health Coordinating Council ensures health care services and facilities are available to all Texans through health planning activities.
- Stock Epinephrine Advisory Committee examines and reviews the administration of epinephrine auto-injectors to a person experiencing an anaphylactic reaction on a campus of a school district or an open-enrollment charter school.
- Stroke Committee (Subcommittee of the Governor's EMS and Trauma Advisory Council) assists Governor's EMS & Trauma Advisory Council in the development of a statewide stroke emergency transport plan and stroke facility criteria.
- Task Force on Infectious Disease Preparedness and Response provides expert, evidence-based assessments, protocols, and recommendations related to state responses to infectious diseases and serves as a reliable and transparent source of information and education for Texas leadership and citizens.
- Task Force of Border Health Officials identifies and raises awareness of health issues impacting border communities and establish policy priorities to enhance border public health, creating a healthy binational community; makes recommendations to the commissioner for short-term and long-term border health improvement plans.
- Texas Brain Injury Advisory Council addresses strategic planning, policy, rules and services related to the prevention of brain injury, rehabilitation and the provision of long term services and supports for persons who have survived brain injuries to improve their quality of life and ability to function independently in the home and community.
- Texas Center for Nursing Workforce Studies Advisory Committee serves as a resource for data and research on the nursing workforce in Texas.
- Texas Council on Alzheimer's Disease and Related Disorders advises DSHS and recommends needed action for the benefit of people with Alzheimer's disease and related disorders and for their caregivers.
- Texas Council on Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke conducts health education, public awareness and community outreach; improves access to treatment; coordinates activities among state agencies; and develops a database of recommendations for treatment and care.
- Texas Council on Consumer Direction advises on the development, implementation, expansion, and delivery of services through consumer direction, in all programs offering long-term services and supports that enhance a consumer's ability to have freedom and exercise control and authority over the consumer's choices, regardless of age or disability.
- Texas Diabetes Council addresses issues affecting people with diabetes in Texas and advises the Texas Legislature on legislation that is needed to develop and maintain a statewide system of quality education services for all people with diabetes and health care professionals who offer diabetes treatment and education.
- Texas HIV Medication Advisory Committee advises in the development of procedures and guidelines for the Texas HIV Medication Program, reviews program's goals and aims, evaluates ongoing efforts, and recommends short-range and long-range goals and objectives.
- Texas Radiation Advisory Board reviews and evaluates state radiation policies, programs and proposed rules. The board also makes recommendations and provides technical advice that may be required on matters relating to development, use, and regulation of sources of radiation.
- Texas Respite Advisory Committee helps develop strategies to reduce barriers to access respite services, improves the quality of respite services, and provides training, education and support to family caregivers.
- Texas School Health Advisory Committee provides active leadership in the identification and dissemination of school health best practices and resources for school policy makers.
- Tobacco Settlement Permanent Trust Account Administration Advisory Committee reviews the results of audit, disputes and rules regarding the state's tobacco settlement.
- Value-Based Payment and Quality Improvement Advisory Committee provides a forum to promote public-private, multi-stakeholder collaboration in support of quality improvement and value-based payment initiatives for Medicaid, other publicly funded health services and the wider health care system.
- Youth Camp Advisory Committee provides advice on the development of standards, procedures, and rules to implement the Youth Camp Act.
Independent Advisory Committees (Councils, Boards, Task Forces, etc.) or Agencies Administratively Attached to HHSC
- Texas Medical Disclosure Panel determines which risks and hazards related to medical care and surgical procedures must be disclosed by health care providers or physicians to their patients or persons authorized to consent for their patients and establishes the general form and substance of such disclosure.
- Texas Civil Commitment Office is a small state agency providing intensive supervision and treatment to sexually violent predators while focused on public safety.
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage and Family Therapists Board is now regulated by the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council.
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors Board is now regulated by the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council.
- Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners Board is now regulated by the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council.
For more information on the HHSC advisory committee appointment process, please email HHS Appointments.