Open Records Policy and Procedures

Texas Health and Human Services is committed to providing full access to public information. To request records under the Texas Public Information Act:

  • Submit a request in writing via U.S. Mail, fax or email.
  • Include contact information and a clear description of the records you are requesting.
  • Send your request to:

HHSC Open Records Coordinator 
4601 W. Guadalupe Street 
Austin, Texas 78751-3146 
Fax: 512-424-6586 

You will be notified in writing if there are costs associated with filling your records request. The Office of the Attorney General sets what a state agency may charge for information. For questions about the Public Information Act, please consult the website of the Texas Office of Attorney General, Open Records Division.

Tips for Open Records Requests

  • Your request must be in writing. Only written requests trigger a governmental body's obligations under the Public Information Act.
  • Your request should be for documents or other information that already is in existence. Governmental bodies are not required to answer questions, perform legal research, or comply with a request to supply information on a periodic basis for information that will be prepared in the future.
  • Be as specific as possible in your request and include a timeframe when appropriate. For example: "I am seeking Medicaid expenditures from fiscal year 2012 through fiscal year 2014."
  • Requests made by fax must be addressed to the Open Records Coordinator to trigger an obligation under the Public Information Act.
  • If you believe that we have not responded as required by the Public Information Act, you may contact the Attorney General’s Open Records Division Hotline at 512-478-6736 or toll-free 1-877-673-6839.

Members of the News Media 
Phone: 512-487-3416 
Fax: 512-487-3393 

Members of the news media may contact the HHS Press Office to make an open records request.

Regulatory Services  
Fax: 512-438-2738 

Requests related to public information about licensed nursing facilities or other settings that care for people who are older or who have disabilities. Regulatory services also processes requests related to survey and licensing material for State Supported Living Centers.

Texas Department of State Health Services Open Records Requests

Please visit the DSHS Public Information and Open Records webpage for more information.