Ombudsman for Children and Youth in Foster Care

This office does not take reports of abuse or neglect. To report abuse or neglect, call the Texas Abuse Hotline at 800-252-5400.

If you are age 18 or older and have a question or complaints about specific cases relating to the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, please contact the DFPS Office of Consumer Affairs at 800-720-7777.

If you are in foster care and age 17 or under, the Ombudsman for Children and Youth in Foster Care can help. The office will:

  • Investigate any complaint you may have.
  • Help find a way to solve a problem.
  • Help you understand your rights.
  • Answer questions.
  • Provide resources to help you be successful when you leave foster care.

How to get help if you are a child or youth in foster care

There are four ways children and youth in foster care can contact us:

  1. Phone: 844-286-0769, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday     
    If you have a hearing or speech disability, call the toll-free Relay Texas service at 7-1-1 or 800-735-2989.
  2. Online: Submit your question or complaint online.
  3. Mail: Texas Health and Human Services Commission     
    Foster Care Ombudsman     
    P.O. Box 13247     
    Austin, TX 78711-3247
  4. Fax: 888-780-8099

Download our brochure about foster care placement (PDF).

Texas Youth Connection

If you are or were in Texas foster care, the Texas Youth Connection can help you find the resources to transition into successful adulthood.

Help spread the word

If you want to read more about your rights, the information below can help.

Annual Reports