Texas Health and Human Services (HHS) is seeking energetic and enthusiastic students to take part in the internship program. The program offers paid and unpaid internships, fellowship placement opportunities and practicums to enrolled college students of different academic levels and working professionals.
Why Intern at HHS?
HHS internships provide students engaging and educational experiences that make a difference in the lives of Texans. Benefits include:
- Gateway to exciting career
- Enhancing your social strategy
- Networking opportunities
- Gaining hands-on experience
- Developing skills and abilities
Types of Internships
HHS hosts a variety of internship opportunities throughout the year. Offerings include:
- Public health services
- Business and administrative support services
- Direct care services
- Client-focused services
- Social work
Learn about HHS
HHS is made up of two major agencies: Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) and Department of State Health Services (DSHS). Together HHS serves more than seven million people each month and affect the lives of all Texans, from the food they eat to the health care they receive. Both agencies offer internship positions to help students gain experience as public servants.
To learn more about the great work we do at HHS, watch We Help People.
- Administers programs such as the Medicaid and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
- Provides a multitude of other support services including mental health and substance abuse, regulation of childcare and nursing facilities, help for people with special health care needs, community support and services for older Texans, disaster relief assistance and resources to fight against human trafficking.
- Operates 13 state supported living centers, which provide direct services and support to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and 10 state hospitals serving people with mental health issues.
- Provides consolidated administrative support to the majority of the HHS System through business and regional services, civil rights, operation and support services, human resources, training and leadership development, and emergency and risk management.
If you are interested in an internship with HHSC complete the volunteer/intern application.
For paid internships please visit the HHS Job Portal.
If you have any questions about HHSC internships contact HHSInternships@hhs.texas.gov.
DSHS is charged with promoting and protecting public health through prevention, intervention, and effective partnerships with communities across the state. The agency works to prevent the spread of communicable disease, tracks public health data, and protects consumers by licensing retail food establishments and stores.
If you are interested in an internship with DSHS, visit the DSHS Internship Program website for more information.