The Comprehensive Health Homes for Integrated Care (CHIC) Kids Pilot program will launch December 1, 2022.
The CHIC Kids Pilot aims to test the impact of a care delivery model providing enhanced care coordination for children with multiple complex health conditions through a collaborative partnership between a specialized health home with demonstrated expertise in caring for children with medically complex conditions and a Managed Care Organization participating in the STAR Kids program.
The pilot will focus on members of the STAR Kids program who have multiple chronic conditions and are age 20 and younger.
The goals of the CHIC Kids Pilot are to:
- Provide enhanced care coordination through a health home specifically designed for children with medically complex conditions
- Improve access to care, health outcomes, and member satisfaction among children with medically complex conditions and their families
- Reduce administrative burden for MCOs and providers
All participation is voluntary for STAR Kids members meeting Pilot eligibility. Participation is also voluntary for MCOs and health homes leading Pilot projects:
- Aetna Better Health of Texas partnering with Children’s Health Complex Care Medical Services
- Aetna Better Health of Texas partnering with Children’s Health
- Amerigroup partnering with Children’s Health
- Amerigroup partnering with High Risk Children’s Complex Care Program at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield partnering with Seton Children’s Comprehensive Care (CCC) Clinic
- Community First Health Plan partnering with University Medicine Associates
- Cook Children’s Health Plan partnering with Cook Children’s Physician Network and Cook Children’s Medical Center
- UnitedHealthcare partnering with High Risk Children’s Complex Care Program at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
Enhanced care coordination projects being piloted in parallel with the CHIC Kids Pilot:
- Amerigroup partnering with Angels of Care Pediatric Home Health
- Driscoll Health Plan partnering with Coastal Children’s Clinic, Corpus Christi, Texas
HHSC posted the opportunity to participate on July 11, 2022, including core requirements for Pilot participation and instructions for MCOs on how to submit project plans. Click here to view the opportunity announcement (PDF). The deadline for MCOs to submit pilot project plans jointly developed with a health home was August 12, 2022. HHSC notified MCOs of pilot project determinations on September 1, 2022.
The pilot will run from December 1, 2022 until September 1, 2025.
Please email questions to CHIC_Kids@hhs.texas.gov.