The Comprehensive Health Homes for Integrated Care (CHIC) Kids Pilot launched December 1, 2022, and will run until September 1, 2025.
The CHIC Kids Pilot is designed to provide enhanced care coordination for children with complex health conditions through a collaborative partnership between a health home with demonstrated expertise in caring for children with medically complex conditions and the member’s Medicaid managed care organization (MCO).
The goals of the Pilot are to:
- Provide enhanced care coordination through a health home for children with medically complex conditions
- Improve access to care and health outcomes
- Improve member and caregiver satisfaction
- Identify opportunities to reduce administrative burden for MCOs and providers
Participation is voluntary for members meeting Pilot eligibility: member of the STAR Kids program, diagnosed with complex medical conditions, and age 20 years old and younger.
Participation is also voluntary for MCOs and providers. Pilot projects and case studies include:
- Aetna Better Health of Texas partnering with Children’s Health Complex Care Medical Services
- Aetna Better Health of Texas partnering with Children’s Health
- Amerigroup partnering with Angels of Care Pediatric Home Health
- Amerigroup partnering with Children’s Health
- Amerigroup partnering with the High Risk Children’s Complex Care Program at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield partnering with Seton Children’s Comprehensive Care (CCC) Clinic
- Community First Health Plan partnering with University Medicine Associates
- Cook Children’s Health Plan partnering with Cook Children’s Physician Network and Cook Children’s Medical Center
- Driscoll Health Plan partnering with Coastal Children’s Clinic, Corpus Christi, Texas
- UnitedHealthcare partnering with the High Risk Children’s Complex Care Program at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
The deadline for new pilots has passed. HHSC posted the opportunity to participate on July 11, 2022. The deadline for MCOs to submit pilot project plans jointly developed with a health home was August 12, 2022. HHSC notified MCOs of pilot project determinations on September 1, 2022. Click here to view the opportunity announcement (PDF).
Please email questions to CHIC_Kids@hhs.texas.gov.