From the headquarters in Austin to eligibility offices in the Rio Grande Valley to laboratories in the Panhandle, Health and Human Services employees are there to respond to the needs of Texans.
If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired you can call any Texas Health and Human Services office by using the relay service of your choice. The state of Texas offers Relay Texas which you can use by dialing 7-1-1 or 800-735-2989.
Texas Health and Human Services are headquartered in Austin, Texas. If you need to contact someone at one of the main offices, also called state office headquarters, please use the addresses and phone numbers below.
Health and Human Services
Texas Health and Human Services (HHS) state office headquarters is located at:
North Austin Complex
4601 W. Guadalupe St.
Austin, TX 78751-3146
P.O. Box 13247
Austin, Texas 78711-3247
Main number: 512-424-6500
TTY number: 512-424-6597
Media calls: 512-424-6951
Texas Department of State Health Services
The Texas Department of State Health Services state office headquarters is located at:
1100 West 49th St.
Austin, Texas 78756-3199
P.O. Box 149347
Austin, Texas 78714-9347
- Long-term care services – Use this search to find long-term care regional offices, area agencies on aging, local intellectual and developmental disability authorities, and aging and disability resource centers.
- Rehabilitation Services Offices – Use this search to find your nearest rehabilitation services office.
Lists of Offices and Service Providers
- Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRC) contract with HHS to provide information to Texans who are older or who have disabilities so they can find the right long-term care services. You also can call 855-937-2372.
- Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) contract with HHS to provide local services to anyone 60 and older and their caregivers. You also can call 800-252-9240.
- Community Services Regional Offices provide administrative support to community services contractors and enroll people in community services programs.
- DSHS Locations includes contact information for the health services regions, community mental health centers, public health organizations, and state hospitals.
- Local Intellectual and Developmental Disability Authorities contract with HHS to provide services to people who have intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Regulatory Services Regional Offices provide administrative support to Regulatory Services staff in the regions.
- Service and Benefits Offices provides a searchable list of benefit offices around the state.
- State supported living centers provide campus-based direct services and supports to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities at 13 locations around the state.
Ombudsmen are trained to help people resolve issues with the services they receive.
- HHS Ombudsman is an impartial and confidential resource to help Texans resolve health and human services complaints and issues
- Independent Ombudsman for State Supported Living Centers secures the rights of residents of state supported living centers.
- Office of the Long-term Care Ombudsman advocates for the rights of nursing home and assisted living residents.
HHS is divided into 11 administrative regions, which are listed below by county. You also can view a map (PDF) that shows these same regions along with the area agencies on aging and the local intellectual and developmental disability authorities.
Region 1, High Plains
Armstrong, Bailey, Briscoe, Carson, Castro, Childress, Cochran, Collingsworth, Crosby, Dallam, Deaf Smith, Dickens, Donley, Floyd, Garza, Gray, Hale, Hall, Hansford, Hartley, Hemphill, Hockley, Hutchinson, King, Lamb, Lipscomb, Lubbock, Lynn, Moore, Motley, Ochiltree, Oldham, Parmer, Potter, Randall, Roberts, Sherman, Swisher, Terry, Wheeler, Yoakum
Region 2, Northwest Texas
Archer, Baylor, Brown, Callahan, Clay, Coleman, Comanche, Cottle, Eastland, Fisher, Foard, Hardeman, Haskell, Jack, Jones, Kent, Knox, Mitchell, Montague, Nolan, Runnels, Scurry, Shackelford, Stonewall, Stephens, Taylor, Throckmorton, Wichita, Wilbarger, Young
Region 3, Metroplex
Collin, Cooke, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Erath, Fannin, Grayson, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Navarro, Palo Pinto, Parker, Rockwall, Somervell, Tarrant, Wise
Region 4, Upper East Texas
Anderson, Bowie, Camp, Cass, Cherokee, Delta, Franklin, Gregg, Harrison, Henderson, Hopkins, Lamar, Marion, Morris, Panola, Rains, Red River, Rusk, Smith, Titus, Upshur, Van Zandt, Wood
Region 5, Southeast Texas
Angelina, Hardin, Houston, Jasper, Jefferson, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Polk, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Shelby, Trinity, Tyler
Region 6, Gulf Coast
Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Colorado, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Walker, Waller, Wharton
Region 7, Central Texas
Bastrop, Bell, Blanco, Bosque, Brazos, Burleson, Burnet, Caldwell, Coryell, Falls, Fayette, Freestone, Grimes, Hamilton, Hays, Hill, Lampasas, Lee, Leon, Limestone, Llano, Madison, McLennan, Milam, Mills, Robertson, San Saba, Travis, Washington, Williamson
Region 8, Upper South Texas
Atascosa, Bandera, Bexar, Calhoun, Comal, DeWitt, Dimmit, Edwards, Frio, Gillespie, Goliad, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Jackson, Karnes, Kendall, Kerr, Kinney, La Salle, Lavaca, Maverick, Medina, Real, Uvalde, Val Verde, Victoria, Wilson, Zavala
Region 9, West Texas
Andrews, Borden, Coke, Concho, Crane, Crockett, Dawson, Ector, Gaines, Glasscock, Howard, Irion, Kimble, Loving, Martin, Mason, McCulloch, Menard, Midland, Pecos, Reagan, Reeves, Schleicher, Sterling, Sutton, Terrell, Tom Green, Upton, Ward, Winkler
Region 10, Upper Rio Grande
Brewster, Culberson, El Paso, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis, Presidio
Region 11, Lower South Texas
Aransas, Bee, Brooks, Cameron, Duval, Hidalgo, Jim Hogg, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Live Oak, McMullen, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Starr, Webb, Willacy, Zapata