What is a Nursing Facility?
The Nursing Facility program provides institutional care to individuals whose medical condition regularly requires the skills of licensed nurses. Nursing facility services are available to individuals who are Medicaid recipients or who wish to private pay for their care. The nursing facility must provide for the needs of each client, including room and board, social services, over-the-counter medications, medical supplies and equipment, and personal needs items.
A skilled nursing facility is a special facility or part of a hospital that provides medically necessary professional services from nurses, physical and occupational therapists, speech pathologists and audiologists. Skilled nursing facilities provide round-the-clock assistance with healthcare and activities of daily living. Skilled nursing facilities are used for short-term rehabilitative stays after an individual is released from a hospital.
A Hospital-based SNF is located in a hospital and provides skilled nursing care and rehabilitation services for people who have been discharged from that hospital but who are unable to return home right away. They do not accept general admissions.
Read news, information letters (ILs) and provider letters (PLs).
Table of NATCEPs Willing to Take on More Students (PDF)
- Infection Prevention and Control Measures for Common Infections in LTC Facilities (PDF)
- National Healthcare Safety Network Long Term Care Facility COVID-19 Module Enrollment (PDF)
- How to Request Monoclonal Antibodies (PDF)
- Infection Control Basics & PPE Training for Essential Caregivers (PDF)
- Proper N95 Respirator Use for Respiratory Protection Preparedness
- Helping Residents with Dementia Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 in LTC Communities (PDF)
- Strategies to Mitigate Healthcare Personnel Staffing Shortages
- Medical Director’s Role in Nursing Facility Emergency Preparedness (PDF)
- March 8, 2023 – NF Provider Updates and QA Webinar (PDF)
- January 25, 2023 – NF Provider Updates and QA Webinar (PDF)
- December 14, 2022 – NF Provider Updates and QA Webinar (PDF)
- Sept. 14, 2022 – NF Provider Updates and QA webinar (PDF)
- Sept. 8, 2022 – Temporary Nurse Aide Transition with HHSC and Prometric (PDF)
- July 13, 2022 – NF Provider Updates and QA Webinar (PDF)
- May 11, 2022 – NF Provider Updates and QA Webinar (PDF)
- March 9, 2022 – NF Provider Updates and QA Webinar (PDF)
For older recordings, email LTCR Policy.
Directories and Licensure and Regulation Tags
- Directory of all Texas nursing facilities (Excel)
- Directory of all Texas nursing facilities (PDF)
- Directory of all Hospital-based Texas nursing facilities (Excel)
- Directory of all Hospital-based Texas nursing facilities (PDF)
- Texas nursing facilities closures (Excel)
- Texas nursing facilities closures (PDF)
- Federal Licensure Tags (PDF)
- Regulation Tags (PDF)
Regulatory Comment Card Survey
Please take a short survey about the recent visit to your facility by Texas Health and Human Services Long-Term Care Regulatory.