The Foster Care Ombudsman can answer questions or help you resolve a complaint about your foster care. Anything you share with us is confidential. Learn about how we can help you:
If you are 17 or under, we can help:
- Find a way to solve your problems
- Help you understand your rights
- Answer questions
- Help you with the resources to be successful when you leave foster care
How to Get Help
There are 4 ways to contact us:
- Call: 844-286-0769, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday
If you have a hearing or speech disability, call the toll-free Relay Texas service at 7-1-1 or 800-735-2989.
- Online: Submit your question or complaint online.
- Mail: Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Foster Care Ombudsman
P.O. Box 13247
Austin, TX 78711-3247
- Fax: 888-780-8099
Download our brochure about foster care placement (PDF).
Adults with DFPS Questions or Complaints
You can contact the Office of Consumer Relations at 800-720-7777 to look into your complaint about a specific case.
This office does not take reports of abuse or neglect. To report immediate risk of abuse or neglect, call the Texas Abuse Hotline at 800-252-5400.
What they do is look into complaints about a specific case for:
- Youth in foster care who are 18 and older
- Youth formerly in foster care
- Family members
- Texas CASA volunteers
- A youth's attorney
- Anyone else that may have information about a youth
Click here to watch a video about their services.
Visit the Office of Internal Affairs website.
Texas Youth Connection
If you are or were in Texas foster care, the Texas Youth Connection can help you find the resources to transition into successful adulthood.
Help Spread the Word
If you want to read more about your rights, the information below can help.
- Foster care facility poster (PDF) (This is required to be posted in all facilities in which foster youth live.)
- Have a question or problem with your foster care placement (PDF)? Share this brochure with foster youth.