Ombudsman Foster Care Help

The Foster Care Ombudsman can answer questions or help you resolve a complaint about your foster care. Anything you share with us is confidential. Learn about how we can help you:

If you are 17 or under, we can help:

  • Find a way to solve your problems
  • Help you understand your rights
  • Answer questions
  • Help you with the resources to be successful when you leave foster care

How to Get Help


There are 4 ways to contact us:

  1. Call: 844-286-0769, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday
    If you have a hearing or speech disability, call the toll-free Relay Texas service at 7-1-1 or 800-735-2989.
  2. Online: Submit your question or complaint online.
  3. Mail: Texas Health and Human Services Commission
    Foster Care Ombudsman
    P.O. Box 13247
    Austin, TX 78711-3247
  4. Fax: 888-780-8099

Download our brochure about foster care placement (PDF).

Adults with DFPS Questions or Complaints

You can contact the Office of Consumer Relations at 800-720-7777 to look into your complaint about a specific case.

This office does not take reports of abuse or neglect. To report immediate risk of abuse or neglect, call the Texas Abuse Hotline at 800-252-5400.

What they do is look into complaints about a specific case for:

  • Youth in foster care who are 18 and older
  • Youth formerly in foster care
  • Family members
  • Texas CASA volunteers
  • A youth's attorney
  • Anyone else that may have information about a youth

Click here to watch a video about their services.

Visit the Office  of Internal Affairs website.

Texas Youth Connection

If you are or were in Texas foster care, the Texas Youth Connection can help you find the resources to transition into successful adulthood.

Help Spread the Word

If you want to read more about your rights, the information below can help.

Annual Reports