Family Violence Program Resources

If you feel unsafe, getting support can help you understand your options and feel safer. While ending an abusive relationship or seeking help, threats or violence can increase. Some warning signs of increased risk may include jealousy, controlling finances or your movements, isolating you from friends or family, verbal abuse, threats to harm or kill you, and physical abuse including strangulation.

To learn more about strangulation prevention, visit the Training Institute on Strangulation Prevention website.

You are not alone. There are resources and support to help you. The notice and resources are in accordance with Senate Bill 1325, 88th Legislature, Regular Session, 2023, known as the Natalia Cox Act.

24/7 Resources and Support

These confidential 24/7 hotlines can help with safety planning, shelter, and support.

National Domestic Violence Hotline

The National Domestic Violence Hotline can connect you with an advocate that can provide safety plans, discuss options, and offer resources in your area.

  • Call: 800-799-SAFE (7233)
  • TTY: 800-787-3224
  • Chat online:
  • Text: “START” to 88788

National Sexual Assault Hotline — RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network)

If you have been sexually assaulted, consider contacting the RAINN Hotline to connect with a trained staff member from a local sexual assault service provider in your area.

National Human Trafficking Hotline

If you or someone you know needs help, call the National Human Trafficking Hotline toll-free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to speak with a specially trained Anti-Trafficking Hotline Advocate. Support is provided in more than 200 languages.

988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline

Anyone can call, text, or chat with the 988 Lifeline to get connected to trained counselors at over 200 local crisis centers.

Find Help

Use this interactive map to find a Family Violence Program center.

Note: Locations reflect only HHSC-funded programs and, for safety purposes, are approximate. If you do not find a shelter or non-residential center near your location, contact the shelter or non-residential supportive services center nearest to you or call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-7233 (800-799-SAFE) or Teletype at 800-787-3224.

Centers that Provide Temporary Shelter and Support Services (Shelter)

Centers marked with an *asterisk are dual family violence and sexual assault centers.

Abilene*Noah Project, Inc.800-444-3551
Alpine*Family Crisis Center of the Big Bend, Inc.800-834-0654
Amarillo*Family Support Services of Amarillo, Inc.806-374-5433
AngletonWomen's Center of Brazoria County, Inc.800-243-5788
Austin*SAFE Alliance512-267-7233
Bastrop*Family Crisis Center888-311-7755
Bay City*The Crisis Center800-451-9235
Beaumont*Family Services of Southeast Texas, Inc.800-621-8882
BoerneKendall County Women’s Shelter800-495-8078
Borger*Hutchinson County Crisis Center, Inc.806-273-2313
Brownsville*Friendship of Women, Inc.956-544-7412
Brownwood*The ARK888-313-2699
BryanTwin City Mission979-775-5355
Carrizo Springs*Wintergarden Women's Shelter, Inc.800-363-9441
Cleburne*Johnson County Family Crisis Center800-848-3206
Corpus Christi*Women's Shelter of South Texas800-580-4878
DallasThe Family Place214-941-1991
DallasMosaic Family Services214-823-4434
DallasThe Salvation Army – Carr P. Collins Social Service Center214-424-7208
Decatur*Wise Hope Shelter & Crisis Center940-626-4855
Denton*Denton County Friends of the Family, Inc.800-572-4031
Dumas*Safe Place, Inc.806-935-2828
El Paso*Center Against Family Violence, Inc.915-593-7300
Fort WorthSafeHaven of Tarrant County877-701-7233
Gainesville*Abigail’s Arms – Cooke County Family Crisis Center877-846-4751
Galveston*Resource & Crisis Center of Galveston County, Inc.888-919-7233
GarlandHope's Door New Beginning Center, Inc.972-276-0057
Granbury*Mission Granbury, Inc.817-579-6848
GreenvilleWomen in Need, Inc.903-454-4357
Harlingen*Family Crisis Center, Inc.956-423-9304
Hempstead*Focusing Families979-826-0000
Hondo*Southwest Family Life Centers, Inc.830-426-5131
Houston*Houston Area Women's Center, Inc.713-528-2121
Humble*Family Time Crisis and Counseling Center281-446-2615
Huntsville*SAAFE House936-291-3369
Jacksonville*Crisis Center of Anderson & Cherokee Counties, Inc.800-232-8519
Kerrville*Hill Country CARES, Inc.830-257-2400
Killeen*Families in Crisis, Inc.254-634-8309
LaredoCasa de Misericordia877-782-2722
Longview*Women's Center of East Texas, Inc.800-441-5555
LubbockWomen's Protective Services of Lubbock, Inc.806-747-6491
Lufkin*Family Crisis Center of East Texas800-828-7233
Marble Falls*Highland Lakes Family Crisis Center830-693-5600
McAllen*Women Together Foundation, Inc.800-580-4879
MidlandSafe Place of the Permian Basin, Inc.432-570-1465
Mineral Wells*Hope, Inc.940-325-1306
Mt. Pleasant*SAFE-T Agency (Shelter Agencies for Families in East Texas)903-575-9999
New Braunfels*Crisis Center of Comal County830-620-4357
Odessa*The Crisis Center800-627-4747
Pampa*Tralee Crisis Center for Women, Inc.800-658-2796
Pasadena*The Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Inc.713-473-2801
Perryton*Panhandle Crisis Center, Inc.800-753-5308
Plainview*Crisis Center of the Plains806-293-7273
PlanoHope's Door New Beginning Center, Inc.972-276-0057
PlanoTexas Muslim Women’s Foundation972-880-4192
Pleasanton*Safer Path Family Violence Shelter877-569-2001
Richmond*Fort Bend County Women's Center281-342-4357
Round Rock*Hope Alliance800-460-7233
San AngeloICD Bridges, Inc.800-749-8631
San AntonioFamily Violence Prevention Services, Inc.210-733-8810
San Marcos*Hays-Caldwell Women's Center800-700-4292
Seguin*Guadalupe Valley Family Violence Shelter, Inc.800-834-2033
Sherman*Grayson Crisis Center800-893-5615
Snyder*Gateway Family Services325-578-8054
Texarkana*Domestic Violence Prevention, Inc.903-793-4357
The Woodlands*Montgomery County Women's Center936-441-7273
Tyler*East Texas Crisis Center, Inc.800-333-0358
Victoria*Mid-Coast Family Services, Inc.800-870-0368
WacoFamily Abuse Center, Inc.800-283-8401
Weatherford*Freedom House817-596-8922
Webster*Bay Area Turning Point, Inc.281-286-2525
Wichita Falls*First Step, Inc.800-658-2683

Centers with Support Services Only (Non-Residential Centers)

Austin*Asian Family Support Services of Austin877-281-8371
Bonham*Fannin County Family Crisis Center877-583-2855
Eastland*Eastland County Crisis Center, Inc.254-629-3223
HoustonAid to Victims of Domestic Abuse (AVDA)713-224-9911
Houston*The Montrose Center713-529-3211
HoustonNorthwest Assistance Ministries281-885-4673
Stephenville*Cross Timbers Family Services866-934-4357

You Have Rights and Options

If you, your child, or any other household member has been injured, or if you feel you are going to be in danger when the officer leaves or at a later time, you have the right to ask your local law enforcement agency to file a criminal complaint against the person committing family violence. You can also apply for a court order to protect you.

If you need help with filing a report or criminal complaint, protective orders, lease termination, or anything else, call the Texas Advocacy Project for free and confidential assistance at 800-374-HOPE (4673) or visit the Texas Advocacy Project website.

It is your right to choose which of these options are best for you.

Protective Orders

A protective order is a legal document requiring someone stay away from you and gives you legal protection. In some cases, it can even remove someone from your shared home. This option is available if you have experienced family violence, dating violence, sexual assault, abuse, stalking, harassment, or human trafficking.

In Texas there are three different types of protective orders:

  • Magistrate’s Order of Emergency Protection (MOEP) can be granted when someone is arrested for one of the offenses above and brought in front of a magistrate to be charged. To obtain one, you can request one from law enforcement at the time of arrest and the magistrate will determine whether to grant the request. In some cases, law enforcement may request one on your behalf or the magistrate might decide to issue one without anyone requesting it. These orders last for 31, 61, or 91 days.
  • Final Protective Order (PO) has to be requested by filing an application with the court and requesting a hearing. At the hearing, you present evidence or testimony that you have experienced one of the offenses above. If granted, the length of time for a final PO can vary but it is usually two years.
  • Temporary Ex Parte Protective Order (TEXPO) is meant to keep you safe after you have filed an application for a final protective order when your abuser is notified, and you are awaiting your hearing. You can request one in your application for a PO and a judge will determine whether to grant it. A TEXPO lasts 20 days but can be extended.

Your local county or district attorney or Texas Advocacy Project can often help you get a protective order for free. Do-it-yourself forms and instructions are also available here:

Lease Termination

This option is available if you have experienced family or dating violence. You may be able to legally end your lease without penalty. To do so, you will need to have at least one of the following documents:

  • A temporary injunction, issued as part of divorce proceeding.
  • Any of the protective orders listed above.
  • A document regarding family violence against the tenant or occupant from at least one of the following: 
    • A licensed health care services provider who examined you.
    • A licensed mental health services provider who examined or evaluated you.
    • An advocate at a family violence center who helped you.

This option may be available if you are a victim of (or a parent or guardian of someone who has experienced) certain forms of sexual violence, or attempted sexual violence in the last six months in the home or at another home on the property and you have at least one of the following:

  • A final protective order signed by a judge.
  • A copy of documentation of the violence or attempted violence from one of the following:
    • A licensed health care services provider who examined you.
    • A licensed mental health services provider who examined or evaluated you.
    • An advocate at a sexual assault program who helped you. 

This option may also be available if you are a victim of (or a parent or guardian of someone who has experienced) stalking in the last six months at the home or on the property and you have at least one of the following:

  • A law enforcement incident report or other record.
  • A final protective order signed by a judge.
  • A copy of documentation of the stalking against the tenant or occupant from at least one of the following:
    • A licensed health care services provider who examined you.
    • A licensed mental health services provider who examined or evaluated you.
    • An advocate at a sexual assault program who helped you. 

Required Steps:

  1. Provide the landlord or their agent a 30 day written notice (PDF) of your plans to terminate the lease. NOTE: 30 days’ notice is not required if family violence was by a co-tenant or occupant of the property, but you can still inform the landlord of your intent to terminate with this notice (PDF).
  2. Give the landlord or the landlord’s agent a copy of one of the above documents or orders.
  3. Leave the apartment/home.
  4. Your lease can terminate 30 days after you have completed the first three steps.

To learn more, visit For more information and certification forms, visit the Texas Council on Family Violence website, scroll down the page and click on the Lease Termination button.

Supporting a Survivor Who is a Minor

Parents of child victims may apply for protective orders, obtain crime victim compensation, and pursue the termination of a lease on behalf of their children. Minors may have the right to seek support on their own in certain situations. Your local family violence center can help.

Title IX is a federal law that protects K-12 and college students against abuse and harassment. To learn more, reach out to the Title IX Coordinator in your school district or college. For more resources on teen dating violence and healthy relationships, visit the Love Is Respect website.

Other Statewide Victim Support Resources

Texas Department of Public Safety Victim Services

Victim Services Counselors are available to help you understand the criminal justice process and your rights and connect you to helpful resources. To locate the Victim Services Counselor in your area, visit the Victim Services Counselors Regional Directory or call 512-424-2211.

Texas Health and Human Services Commission Family Violence Program

Family violence centers offer free emergency shelter and support services for males and females, adults and children who experience family or dating violence. Visit the Family Violence Program webpage to learn more.

Texas Advocacy Project

For free legal advocacy and legal services, call 800-374-HOPE or visit the Texas Advocacy Project website.

Sexual Assault Resources

Visit the Texas Governor’s Office website for sexual assault survivors’ resources.

Stalking Resources

Visit the Stalking Prevention, Awareness, and Resource Center website.

Address Confidentiality Program

The Address Confidentiality Program provides a substitute post office box address and mail forwarding service.

Crime Victims’ Compensation (CVC) Program

The CVC Program helps crime victims and their immediate families with the financial costs of crime. Visit the Texas Attorney General website for more information and to apply online.

Texas VINE

Victims can register with Texas VINE for updates about offender custody and court status.

Get Child Support Safely

Assists victims of family violence to obtain child support services through the Texas Office of the Attorney General as safely as possible.