Revision 20-2; Effective June 1, 2020
HHSC contracts with a Data Broker vendor to provide financial and other background information about applicants and recipients applying for both Texas Works and MEPD programs. The vendor collects and combines information from several data sources into one report. This report is called a Data Broker Combined Report.
Within each Data Broker Combined Report, there is an option to request a credit report on the person for whom the Data Broker report was requested. Federal law limits the use of credit reports.
Note: Credit reports are not requested for MEPD programs.
The Data Broker Combined Report includes information from several data sources such as:
- Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- Office of the Attorney General (OAG)
- Texas Workforce Commission (TWC)
- Texas Lottery
- Department of State Health Services (DSHS)
- SNAP Electronic Disqualified Recipient System (EDRS)
- Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT)
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ)
These agencies provide information on:
- people search information (name, address, driver license/ID and neighbors);
- alien verification;
- vehicle search (name, address, license plate, vehicle identification number and vehicle valuation);
- income search (new hire, quarterly wages and unemployment insurance benefits, child support, current earned income and Texas lottery winnings);
- marriage and divorce; and
- TWC wages/benefits.
Staff must view Data Broker reports to accurately determine eligibility and resolve any discrepancies between Data Broker information and information the applicant or recipient provided. Failure to view the report may result in eligibility errors.
Before beginning denial procedures based on information obtained in a Data Broker report, always:
- make a phone contact and request the information needed to explain the discrepancy and document the results of the phone contact; or
- send a written request for information or proof to resolve the discrepancy.
Refer to the TWH sections C-820-829 for more information about Data Broker and available reports.