Family Support Services are services that help families take care of Children with Special Health Care Needs Services Program clients at home. These services can also help a client be more independent and able to take part in family life and community activities. Family Support Services include:
- Respite (care to relieve a child’s caregiver)
- Caregiver training
- Special care supports
- Vehicle modifications (such as wheelchair lifts and hand controls)
- Minor home modifications (such as wheelchair ramps and wider doorways)
- Special equipment and supplies not otherwise covered by the program or other health insurance (such as stair lifts)
- Short-term utility assistance
- Benefit limitations
Only current CSHCN Services Program clients can receive Family Support Services. People served by a Medicaid home and community-based waiver program are ineligible.
Funding for FSS is limited and might not always be available. The total costs for FSS cannot be more than $3,600 per calendar year. Exceptions can be made for vehicle modifications which can be up to $7,200 once in a lifetime. For minor home modifications, families can choose to combine their yearly benefit with their onetime benefit of $3,600 for a total of $7,200.
Clients must make a Family Support Services request through their case managers. FSS requires prior authorization. Approved FSS must be renewed yearly.
Family Support Services Training
The Family Support Services Training Module explains benefits, eligibility, authorization and provider enrollment, limitations, and the reimbursement process relative to FSS. This module is computer-based and benefits case managers, or other staff members who wish to learn more about FSS.
Visit the Texas Integrated Business Information System website to learn how to request training. If you have questions, email Texas IBIS.
Family Support Services Provider Enrollment
How to Enroll
Click on the links below to obtain the CSHCN Services Program Family Support Services Provider Enrollment Application and Agreement and the FSS Provider Manual. Call the toll-free help desk at 800-252-8023 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the Family Support Services Provider Enrollment packet.
Required forms for all FSS Providers
- CSHCN Services Program FSS Provider Manual (PDF)
- Certification Regarding Lobbying (PDF)
- Child Support Certification (PDF)
Required forms for Home Health Agencies only
Required forms for Home Inspectors only
Copy of Real Estate Inspector License through the Texas Real Estate Commission. See How to Become a Real Estate Inspector.
Fax the completed packet and required documentation to 512-206-3988 or mail to:
Children with Special Health Care Needs Services Program — Provider Enrollment
Office of Primary and Specialty Health, MC 1938
PO Box 149030
Austin, TX 78714-9947
Required FSS request forms and other useful publications
- Form A - Cover Sheet (PDF)
- Form B - Services Request (PDF, English)
- Form B - Services Request (PDF, Spanish)
- Form C - Vehicle Evaluation (PDF)
- Form D - Home Modifications: Written Specifications and Approvals (PDF)
- Form E - Respite Timesheet (PDF, English)
- Form E - Respite Timesheet (PDF, Spanish)
- Form F - Family Documentation for Completed FSS Training (PDF, English)
- Form F - Family Documentation for Completed FSS Training (PDF, Spanish)
- Form G - Provider Documentation for Completed FSS Training (PDF)
- Form H - Home Modifications: Initial Inspection Report (PDF)
- Form I - Home Modifications: Final Inspection Report (PDF)
- Vehicle Modification Bid Checklist (PDF)
- Respite Fact Sheet (PDF, English)
- Respite Fact Sheet (PDF, Spanish)
- Home Modification Request Checklist for Case Managers (PDF)