The Health and Human Services Commission is responsible for developing rules that establish minimum standards for licensing procedures, operational requirements, standards for voluntary agreements, enforcement procedures, fire prevention and safety requirements, and physical plant and construction requirements for private psychiatric hospitals and crisis stabilization units.
Private psychiatric hospitals provide inpatient mental health services to individuals with mental illness or with a substance use disorder except that, at all times, a majority of the individuals admitted are individuals with a mental illness. Services include psychiatric assessment and diagnostic services, physician services, professional nursing services, and monitoring for patient safety provided in a restricted environment.
Crisis stabilization units are mental health facilities operated by a community center or other entity designated by the Health and Human Services Commission. They provide treatment to individuals who are the subject of a protective custody order.
Find or Verify a Licensee
- View the accessible version of the Directory of Private Psychiatric Hospitals (Excel)
- View the Directory of Private Psychiatric Hospitals (PDF)
- View the accessible version of the Directory of Crisis Stabilization Units (Excel)
- View the Directory of Crisis Stabilization Units (PDF)
- Verify a facility license by searching the Online Licensing System
Private psychiatric hospitals may be accredited.
Crisis stabilization units are not accredited.
The following documents, fees, and actions must be completed and approved before a license will be issued:
- Apply for a Psychiatric Hospital license with a single location using Form 3216, Psychiatric Hospital License Application
- Apply for a Psychiatric Hospital license with multiple locations using Form 3218, Multiple Location Psychiatric Hospital License Application
- Crisis Stabilization Unit License Application (PDF)
- Apply for a single-location Psychiatric Hospital licensure renewal using Form 3217, Psychiatric Hospital License Renewal Application
- Apply for a multiple-location Psychiatric Hospital licensure renewal using Form 3219, Multiple Location Psychiatric Hospital License Renewal Application
- Crisis Stabilization Unit Renewal Application (PDF)
Supporting Forms and Documents
- Architectural Review Information and Forms
- Fire Safety Survey Report Form (PDF)
- Hospital Database Worksheet (PDF)
- Change of Ownership Instructions (PDF)
- Hospital Closure Instructions (PDF)
Private psychiatric hospitals may be certified to participate in the federal Medicare Program. The Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services directs state health agencies or other appropriate agencies to determine if health care entities meet federal standards. This helping function is termed "provider certification." Health Facility Compliance Group staff is responsible for certifying hospitals. For more information on the certification process, refer to the hospital laws and rules webpage or contact your zone office (PDF).
Crisis stabilization units may NOT be certified to participate in the federal Medicare Program.
Laws and Rules
Human Trafficking Resources
- HB 2552 Background Information (PDF)
- Human Trafficking Sign – English (PDF)
- Human Trafficking Sign – Spanish (PDF)
- HHSC Texas Human Trafficking Resource Center
Open Records Requests
There is no specific form for submitting your open records request. Your request must be in writing and may be submitted by mail, fax or email. Include enough description and detail about the information requested so we can accurately identify and locate the information. List your name and mailing address so we can provide you with the requested information. We may also provide you with an itemized statement of charges, if applicable, or notify you if the information you are requesting cannot be provided promptly.
Program Contact Information
General Email, Fax, Phone and Mailing Information
Health Facility Licensing
Mail Code 1868
P.O. BOX 149347
Austin, Texas 78714-9347
Mailing Address for Applications with Fees:
HHSC AR Mail Code 1470
P.O. BOX 149055
Austin, Texas 78714-9055