1901 North Hwy 87
Big Spring, TX 79720
Big Spring State Hospital provides hospitalization for people 18 years of age and older with psychiatric illnesses in West Texas and the Texas South Plains.
Big Spring State Hospital recognizes the therapeutic value of involving family members and loved ones in the treatment of and rehabilitation of patients. We strongly believe contact with and the support of loved ones enhances the patient's hospitalization and treatment. Families and significant others are integral components of the treatment process, not the cause of mental illness. We are dedicated to providing basic family education concerning mental illness and information on how families can positively influence the life of the person living with mental illness.
Visiting hours are 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekends and holidays. Patient visitation on the intensive observation unit is time-limited and requires staff supervision.
Patients have the right to have visitors unless a doctor determines it isn’t in the best interest of the patient. Patients also have the right to refuse visitors. If patients refuse visitors, an explanation is given to the visitor or visitors. Visitors on the patient’s restriction list aren’t allowed on campus.
Visitation will be carefully monitored and limited if patients are on medical precautions. Hospital personnel will tell visitors about any special precautions.
Visitors must follow any directions given by hospital staff during visitation.
No more than three visitors per patient are allowed at one time. Former patients may visit with the expressed permission of the person they want to visit.
If the patient has a guardian, the guardian must approve visitors.
Visitors must register at the Information Desk in the Information and Admissions Center to receive a visitor's pass. Visitors must do the following:
- Tell the receptionist the name of the patient they want to visit.
- Adult visitors must show positive identification, including a photo ID or driver’s license.
- Visitors must park in the Admissions building parking lot after registering with the receptionist. Security personnel will take visitors to the visitation area.
- Visitors may bring food or drinks if allowed by patient’s attending clinician or doctor on duty. Aluminum cans aren’t allowed on campus.
- Visitors must show all items intended for patient delivery. Any items not allowed will be left in the visitor’s secured vehicle.
- Visitors must leave purses or other satchels or containers inside their vehicle. Pocket knives and lighters must be left in the vehicle.
- Visitors will tell staff when they are ready to leave the patient unit. Security personnel will take visitors from the visitation area to the Admissions building parking area.
The hospital encourages children accompanied by a responsible adult to visit the hospital during visiting hours. Visits outside these visiting times and visits with children 13 and younger may be arranged by contacting the patient’s social worker.
The Don and Marilyn Newsom Family Lodge is an on-campus facility designed for the overnight use by families and significant others visiting Big Spring State Hospital. Contact the patient’s social worker for reservations.
Big Spring State Hospital welcomes tour groups to our campus. Tours may be geared toward a certain group's interests, including nursing students, medical professionals, civic groups, community organizations and high school groups. To arrange a tour, please contact: the Big Spring State Hospital public information coordinator at 432-268-7535.