Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) covers children in families that earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid but cannot afford to buy private insurance.
Benefits under CHIP
Members in the CHIP program can get benefits like:
- Regular checkups with the doctor and dentist.
- Prescription drugs and vaccines.
- Hospital care and services.
- X-rays and lab tests.
- Vision and hearing care.
- Access to medical specialists and mental health care.
- Treatment of special health needs and pre-existing conditions.
CHIP health plans also offer value-added services—extra services you can get in addition to your CHIP benefits. Compare value-added services offered by the health plans in your service area.
Some CHIP members with special health care needs might receive service management. A service manager can make sure you get the health care services you need from your health plan. Find out more about service management.
Children Transitioning from Medicaid
If your child had Medicaid before and now has CHIP, you might be able to keep your health plan and your doctor. Many health plans that provide Medicaid also provide CHIP.
CHIP Enrollment and Co-pays
Depending on your income, you may have to pay an enrollment fee and co-pay for doctor visits and medicine. Enrollment fees are $50 or less per family, per year. Co-pays for doctor visits and medicine range from $3 to $5 for lower-income families and $20 to $35 for higher-income families.
CHIP has a cap for dental services. If your child needs dental services beyond the cap, you will need to get a prior authorization. Call your dental plan if you need help with prior authorizations.
CHIP Health Plans
To learn more about your services, go to your health plan’s website.
- Aetna Better Health
- BlueCross and BlueShield of Texas
- Community First Health Plans
- Community Health Choice
- Cook Children's Health Plan
- Dell Children's Health Plan
- Driscoll Health Plan
- El Paso Health CHIP
- FirstCare CHIP
- Molina Healthcare of Texas
- Parkland KIDSfirst
- Superior HealthPlan
- Texas Children's Health Plan
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan