Hearing Aid Information

Financial assistance to purchase hearing aids may be available from a variety of sources for children who get Medicaid, older Texans and people who are looking for employment.

Who Can Get Help?


  • Active duty military family members: People who meet specific hearing-loss requirements will be eligible to receive hearing aids, including services and supplies, as a TRICARE benefit. For more information, visit the TRICARE website at https://www.tricare.mil/ or call the TRICARE Regional Office 877-874-2273, 800-444-5445 or 888-874-9378. Overseas beneficiaries may call 1-888-777-8343.
  • Veteran's Administration: Veterans who have at least a 10 percent service-connected disability (any disability, not just hearing loss) the VA can provide hearing aids and other assistive devices.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation: The Texas Workforce Commission may provide hearing aids and assistive devices for qualifying adults who want to maintain current employment or who are seeking employment. Call 512-424-4060 and ask to be referred office nearest you. Or look in blue or yellow pages for Texas Workforce Commission under state agencies.


  • Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP): Families can qualify if they earn up to 200 percent of poverty level, but must re-apply every 6 months. Call 800-647-6558 or visit www.yourtexasbenefits.com.
  • Medicaid: Children birth to 21 who are on Medicaid, can visit
  • Miracle Ear Children's Foundation: For children 16 and younger. To qualify, a family of 4 must have a gross income of $20,000-45,000, must be an U.S. citizen, and have a current audiogram and medical release. Call 800-234-5422.
  • Public schools: Schools may be responsible for services as part of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

Older Texans

  • Area agency on aging (AAA): Call your local AAA at 888-622-9111 to see if they offer grants to help with hearing aid costs.
  • The Texas Health and Human Services Commission Independent Living (IL) program: This program may help older people who are not working and who have a disability. There may be a long waiting list. Call one of the following:
    • Amarillo: 806-353-7491
    • Austin: 512-491-8583
    • El Paso: 915-778-7714
    • Fort Worth: 817-923-5080
    • Houston: 713-521-1119
    • Irving: 972-254-9503
    • Lubbock: 806-747-1625
    • McAllen: 956-971-8655
    • San Antonio: 210-650-0943

People of All Ages

  • Local universities: University speech and hearing clinics may offer a sliding-scale fee and use graduate students to help keep costs down. Others may have a recycled hearing aid program.
  • Hear Now/Starkey Foundation: This national program donates new Starkey hearing aids if the hearing aid dispenser donates their services. While client income is considered, out-of-pocket medical expenses also are considered. There is an application process and a $100 per aid non-refundable application fee. The total household income is considered, not just the applicant's financial position. Call 800-648-4327 and press 1 for application or visit www.sotheworldmayhear.org/forms/hearnow.php.
  • Private health insurance: Check your private health insurance coverage.
  • Payment Plan: Need credit approval and must go to their list of providers. 877-354-8337 and push ext. #1 for application.
  • ESCO Help Card: Need credit approval and must go to their list of providers. 800-945-4357 or www.earserv.com
  • Civic organizations: Check your local Lions, Kiwanis, Sertoma and other civic organizations to learn if there is a re-conditioned hearing aid (recycling) program in your community.
  • Assistive Listening Devices: An alternative to a hearing aid, retail from $100 to $180. These look like a 'walkman' radio. The person with hearing impairment wears headphones or an earbud and the person speaking uses a microphone. These are appropriate for one on one situations where the speaker is near the listener. They are also great for noisy situations. For more information, contact:
    • Audex at 800-237-0716 and ask about their Sound Director System
    • Williams Sound Company 800-843-3544 makes a Pocket Talker
    • Hitec makes the Sound Wizard, 800-288-8303


For possible local resources, or other help related to hearing loss, contact the DHHS specialist in your area. You also can call 512-438-4880 to ask for the nearest contractor.