Find Help through HHS

Texas Health and Human Services provides a variety of programs to help people who are recovering from a brain injury become independent as well as to support those serving as caregivers.

Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services

This program is for people who have traumatic brain and/or spinal cord injuries. The goal is to ensure they can function independently in their home or community. Counselors and family members work with the person to identify rehabilitation goals and what services they need to support increased independence. Services can include:

  • Inpatient comprehensive medical rehabilitation services.
  • Outpatient rehabilitation services.
  • Post-acute rehabilitation services.

To learn more about eligibility and requesting services, visit the Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services webpage.

Long-term Care Services

People who need to have longer-term services or supports might be able to get them through programs for people who have a medical or physical disability. Most long-term care programs require you have limited income and assets, you show a need for services, and you be a U.S. citizen or qualified legal immigrant who lives in Texas. Services can be provided in the home, a daytime program in your community, or a residential setting such as a nursing home or assisted living facility.

Services might include:

  • Personal care, such as housekeeping, meal preparation or personal tasks such as bathing and dressing.
  • Medical supplies or equipment.
  • Rides to medical appointments.
  • A break for your caregiver, also called respite.

To learn more, visit the long-term care for people with medical or physical disabilities webpage.


Becoming a caregiver for a loved one comes with a new set of responsibilities, some of which may seem unfamiliar or intimidating. For information about caregiving and finding respite care click here.

Other Services

To find out about other HHS services, such as Medicaid or the SNAP food program (formerly known as food stamps), call 2-1-1, visit 2-1-1 Texas or

If you don’t qualify for HHS services, there still might be other ways to pay for your rehabilitation care.

  • Private Insurance — Refer to the Insurance section to learn more about insurance coverage and brain injuries.
  • Long-term care insurance — Some people have long-term care insurance which might help cover some of the cost. Learn more by visiting Own Your Future website.
  • Supplemental Security Income — This federal program pays monthly benefits to people with limited income and resources who have a disability, who are blind or over 65 years old. Learn more by visiting the Social Security Administration website.

To learn more, contact the Office of Acquired Brain Injury at 512-706-7191 or by email OABI.