Fiscal Year 2023
Program providers must evaluate the use of restraints by comparing the total number of emergency restraints used in each of the three restraint categories to the aggregate data prepared by HHSC (Chapter 261, Subchapter D, §261.229 (a) and (b) of the Texas Administrative Code) In order to obtain the most accurate restraint information, HHSC has developed a spreadsheet that calculates the program provider’s rate of restraint. The program provider must use this information in developing and implementing a plan to reduce the use of restraints.
You can use the restraint data extracted from CARE to populate this spreadsheet, restraint data is recorded by category:
- Personal restraint
- Mechanical restraint
- Psychoactive medication (chemical) restraint
To calculate your rate of restraint (by category) enter data, extracted from CARE, by month for the past fiscal year into the spreadsheet, as indicated:
- Number of individuals in your program
- Number of individuals who had a restraint (in each category)
- Number of restraints (in each category)
Once the raw data is entered, the spreadsheet will automatically calculate the:
- Percentage (%) of individuals in your program who had a restraint (by category); and
- Rate of restraints (by category) by individuals restrained.
The formula below, which is included in the spreadsheet, will automatically populate based on these calculations. You can use this formula to compare your program’s use of restraint against the aggregate.
In FY 23 in your program, 00% of the total individuals in that program had a restraint (by category) at an estimated 00 times on average.
Below are rates of restraint based on the aggregate for ICF/IID in FY 23, in the same formula:
- In FY 23 in the ICF/IID program, 10% of the total individuals in that program had an emergency personal restraint at an estimated 2.619 times on average.
- In FY 23 in the ICF/IID program, 0.00% of the total individuals in that program had an emergency psychoactive medication restraint at an estimated 0.417 times on average.
- In FY 23 in the ICF/IID program, 0.00% of the total individuals in that program had an emergency mechanical restraint at an estimated 0.00 times on average.
Updated restraint rates will be posted annually in January for the previous fiscal year.