LCDC New License Registration

To become a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor, you must start the process as a counselor intern unless you are currently licensed in another state and applying for reciprocity. Currently, an application for a license in Texas can only be submitted by filling out a paper application. We are in the process of developing an online application for LCDC counselor intern registration and LCDC licensure by reciprocity.

To apply, you must submit all required application forms, fees and other documents to HHSC and HHSC must issue you a license or registration before you begin practicing or accumulating the required 4,000 hours of supervised work experience in Texas. Mail all documents and fees to the address listed on the application form.

Access the necessary forms and more information about the counselor intern and licensing process in the sections on this page.

Apply for Counselor Intern Registration

Applying for registration as a counselor intern is the first step toward becoming a licensed chemical dependency counselor. As a counselor intern, once you meet the requirements to upgrade to a full LCDC licensure, HHSC will send you a letter with instructions for obtaining the full LCDC license. Please note there is not an application for the full LCDC licensure process.

To be eligible for counselor intern registration, you must meet the following requirements in accordance with Texas Administrative Code Title 25 (25 TAC) §140.405:

  1. Be at least 18 years old.
  2. Have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
  3. Successfully complete 270 classroom hours of chemical dependency curricula as described in 25 TAC §140.406 or meet the educational waiver referenced in 25 TAC §140.405(b).
  4. Complete 300 hours of approved supervised field work practicum as described in 25 TAC §140.407 or meet the educational waiver referenced in 25 TAC §140.405(b).
  5. Pass the criminal history standards described in 25 TAC §140.431.
  6. Sign the application form, which includes an attestation to abide by the ethical standards required by 25 TAC §140.423.
  7. Be worthy of the public trust and confidence as determined by HHSC.
  8. Submit the Counselor Intern Registration application and associated fees.

HHSC issues a counselor intern registration for a term of five years, during which time you must complete all licensed chemical dependency counselor licensure requirements, including passing both parts of the required examination.

If you fail to complete all counselor intern requirements during the five-year term, you can apply only once for a subsequent registration for an additional three years. However, if you do not complete all requirements, including examination, college degree and 4,000 hours of supervised experience, by the end of the three-year term of the subsequent counselor intern registration, then HHSC will deny your application for licensure as a LCDC.

Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor Intern Registration Application Check List

  • Completed application (PDF) (two pages), signed, dated and notarized with a recent full-face wallet sized photo.
  • Application fee of $25 and background investigation fee of $40 (cashier's check or money order); payable to HHSC. HHSC will not process applications without the total fee of $65.
  • Confirmation of submission of fingerprints via FAST process.
  • Documentation of a high school diploma, its equivalent (GED) or a copy of college transcript.
  • Documentation of the 270 education hours and 300-hour practicum required by 25 TAC § 140.405. Documentation can be one of the following:
    • An official college transcript (no photocopies) documenting the 270 education hours and the 300-hour practicum with a letter from the school’s department chair or coordinator stating the applicant's completed practicum was in the field of chemical dependency
    • An official college transcript showing an approved degree which will waive the education and practicum requirements in accordance with 25 TAC §140.404(b).

Apply for Chemical Dependency Counselor License by Reciprocity

To be eligible for licensure as a licensed chemical dependency counselor, a person must submit the following to HHSC:

  • A copy of the reciprocal license or certification, with verified information from the issuing authority as to any disciplinary history
  • Confirmation of submission of fingerprints via FAST process
  • A recent full-face wallet-sized (2.5 x 3.5) photograph of the applicant
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • A total application fee of $150.00
  • Proof of successful completion of a licensing examination approved by HHSC
  • An official transcript showing that the individual holds an associate degree or more advanced degree
  • Completed, signed and dated Application for Licensure Reciprocity (PDF)

Apply for Clinical Training Institute Registration

A clinical training institution is a person or legal entity registered with the HHSC to supervise an LCDC counselor intern.

In accordance with 25 TAC §140.410, to become a registered CTI, an organization must:

  1. Provide activities in an array of the knowledge, skills and attitudes dimensions, including assessment and counseling
  2. Serve individuals with substance-related disorders as its primary population
  3. Employ a full-time qualified credentialed counselor as the CTI coordinator
  4. Be in good standing with applicable licensing and regulatory agencies
  5. Agree to comply with applicable rules in 25 TAC Chapter 140, Subchapter I
  6. Submit a complete application (PDF)

To renew your CTI registration

Training and Supervision Forms

The knowledge, skills and attitudes of addictions counseling as defined by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's Center for Substance Abuse Treatment Technical Assistance Publication (TAP 21) "Addictions Counseling Competencies: The Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes of Professional Practice."

Treatment facilities that can qualify as a clinical training institute include:

  • A public or private hospital
  • A detoxification facility
  • A primary care facility
  • An intensive care facility
  • A long-term care facility
  • An outpatient care facility
  • A community mental health center
  • A health maintenance organization
  • A recovery center
  • An ambulatory care facility
  • Any other facility that offers or purports to offer treatment

Other facilities that can qualify as a clinical training institute include:

  • A school
  • A federal facility
  • A criminal justice facility
  • A church

Register for the Licensing Examination

The Texas Certification Board of Addiction Professionals is responsible for administering the written examination in Texas. You can download the application form for testing and access examination scores on the TCBAP website.