HHSC prepared the content on this page during the Pre-Implementation Period (Oct. 1, 2021 – Dec. 31, 2022) of the CHART Model to support hospitals in their decision to participate in the Model and for Performance Period 1.
Roadmap to CHART Model Participation
If you are interested in receiving additional information about the CHART Model in Texas, please sign up for email updates.
Submission of the Interest Form is now closed for rural hospitals to identify their interest in possible participation in the CHART Model.
If your hospital submitted a Letter of Intent and/or Interest Form, you should:
- Continue discussions with your hospital leadership board/team about how your hospital will comply with the CHART Model Community Transformation Track requirements (e.g., telemedicine project, social determinants of health).
- Attend optional web-based meetings hosted periodically by HHSC about CHART Model participation. Each meeting focuses on a different CHART Model requirement.
- Prepare your hospital leadership to sign a participation agreement with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and HHSC by Nov. 1, 2022.
- Review and complete identified steps in the CHART Model Participation Checklist – Revised June 2022 (PDF), including reviewing important resources and documents, such as the CHART Model Participation Community Track Financial Specifications – Revised September 2022 (PDF), and Operational Flexibilities Exercise (PDF).
- Notify HHSC (HHSC_CHART@hhsc.state.tx.us) immediately if your hospital reaches a decision NOT to participate in the CHART Model Community Transformation Track.
Detailed Information for Participating in the CHART Model
Because the CHART Model is multifaceted with many benefits and requirements for entities that choose to participate, we have consolidated the information below to assist potential participants in their decision. The timelines provide an overview of the pre-implementation period as well as deadlines and key dates that occur during it. For easy reference, it is provided as a table and a graphic timeline.
- CHART Model Stakeholder Deadlines and HHSC Deliverables (PDF)
- CHART Model Pre-Implementation Timeline - Revised March 2022 (PDF)
Participant Hospitals and Aligned Payers each have benefits and requirements unique to them. CMS and HHSC have created the following resources to facilitate discussions and decision-making.
- CHART Model Discussion with Texas HHSC and CMS Presentation (PDF)
- CHART Model Discussion with Texas HHSC and CMS Webinar (Recording)
- CHART Model Payment Policies (PDF)
- CHART Model Participation Community Track Financial Specifications (PDF) – Revised September 2022
- CMS CHART Model Sample Medicare Payment Calculation (PDF)
- CMS CHART Model Sample Medicare Payment Calculation Worksheet (Excel)
Implementation, Quality Reporting and Operational Flexibilities
- CHART Model Operational Flexibilities (PDF)
- CMS CHART Model Participation Quality Strategy Fact Sheet (PDF)
- CMS CHART Model Implementation FAQ (PDF)
Hospital Decision-making Resources
- CHART Model Fact Sheet (PDF)
- CHART Model Requirements for Participant Hospitals (PDF)
- CHART Model Hospital Participation Checklist (PDF) – Revised June 2022
- CMS CHART Model Overview Presentation (PDF)
- CHART Model 101 Presentation (PDF)
- CHART Model 101 Talking Points (PDF)
- HHSC CHART Model Hospital FAQ (PDF) – Revised September 2022
- CHART Lead Organization & Hospital Call with CMMI Group Director (Recording)
Hospital Exercises to Prepare for Participation
Medicaid Alignment and Managed Care Organization (MCO) Resources
- CHART Model Medicaid Alignment Fact Sheet (PDF)
- HHSC CHART Model MCO FAQ (PDF) – Revised September 2022
CHART Model Transformation Plan
The CHART Model Transformation Plan will serve as an overview of the healthcare delivery redesign strategy for the CHART Model in Texas. HHSC worked with the CHART Model Advisory Council to develop the draft Transformation Plan. HHSC submitted its draft Transformation Plan to CMS on May 18, 2022 and provided the CHART Model Advisory Council members and interested Medicaid Managed Care Organizations with a copy for review and signature. HHSC submitted its final Transformation Plan to CMS on July 15, 2022 with CMS approval. The Transformation Plan (including the CHART Model Transformation Plan and CHART Model Transformation Plan Workbook), and a CMS-created fact sheet, are included for reference below. HHSC will work with stakeholders to update the Transformation Plan at least annually.