Fiscal Year 2020
Program providers must annually evaluate their use of restraints by comparing it to the aggregate data provided by DADS (Chapter 9, Subchapter D, (k)(5) of the Texas Administrative Code). In order to obtain the most accurate restraint information, HHSC has developed a spreadsheet that calculates the program provider's rate of restraint (Excel). The program provider must use this information in developing and implementing a plan to reduce the use of restraints.
You can use the restraint data extracted from CARE to populate the spreadsheet (Excel). Restraint data is recorded by category:
- Personal restraint
- Mechanical restraint
- Chemical restraint
To calculate your rate of restraint (by category) enter data, extracted from CARE, by month for the past fiscal year into the spreadsheet, as indicated:
- Number of individuals in your program
- Number of individuals who had a restraint (in each category)
- Number of restraints (in each category)
Once the raw data is entered, the spreadsheet (Excel) will automatically calculate the:
- Percentage (%) of individuals in your program who had a restraint (by category); and
- Rate of restraints (by category) by individuals restrained
The formula below, which is included in the spreadsheet (Excel), will automatically populate based on these calculations. You can use this formula to compare your program's use of restraint against the aggregate.
In FY 20 in your program, 00% of the total individuals in that program had a restraint (by category) at an estimated 00 times on average.
Below are rates of restraint based on the aggregate for HCS in FY20, in the same formula:
- In FY 20 in the HCS program, 0.12% of the total individuals in that program had a personal restraint at an estimated 2.251 times on average.
- In FY 20 in the HCS program, 0.17% of the total individuals in that program had a chemical restraint at an estimated 3.202 times on average.
- In FY 20 in the HCS program, 0.03% of the total individuals in that program had a mechanical restraint at an estimated 26.43 times on average.
Updated restraint rates will be posted annually in January for the previous fiscal year.