Filing a Discrimination Complaint

How to File a Client Discrimination Complaint with the HHSC Civil Rights Office

People applying for or receiving benefits or services who feel they have been discriminated against by an employee of any Texas Health and Human Services agency or an employee of an entity that provides services through a contract with the HHS agency may file a complaint of discrimination with the Civil Rights Office.

The HHSC Civil Rights Office must receive the complaint of discrimination within 180 days of the date the alleged discriminatory action took place.

You can file a complaint by using the Client Complaint of Discrimination form (MS Word). You also can file a complaint in person or by letter, email, fax or phone:

HHSC Civil Rights Office 
Health and Human Services Commission
701 W. 51st St.
MC W206
Austin, Texas 78751
Phone: 888-388-6332 or 512-438-4313
Fax: 512-438-5885


When filing a discrimination complaint, include the following:

  • Your name, address, phone number, or other way we can reach you.
  • The name of the office and address where the alleged discriminatory practices took place.
  • Description of the actions or what happened to make you feel you were discriminated against.
  • The date or dates of the alleged discrimination.
  • The reason, or basis, you think the discrimination took place (for instance your race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability or political beliefs).

You also can file your complaint in one of our Civil Rights Offices in Austin, Edinburg, Grand Prairie, Houston, Lubbock and San Antonio.

How to File a Discrimination Complaint with a Federal Agency

People applying for or receiving benefits or services can file a civil rights discrimination complaint with the following federal agencies. For additional information, please contact the federal agency or office.

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Some U.S. Department of Agriculture programs include:

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program —food assistance benefits
  • Women, Infants, and Children
  • Food Safety and Inspection Service, DSHS Meat Safety Assurance Unit

To file a program discrimination complaint with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, write a letter to:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Director, Office of Adjudication
1400 Independence Ave. SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
Phone: 866-632-9992 (toll free) or 202-260-1026
TTY: 202-401-0216

U.S. Department of Education

Some U.S. Department of Education programs include:

  • Blind Children's Vocational Discovery and Development Program
  • Blindness Education, Screening, and Treatment
  • Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, including Early Childhood Intervention

The address for the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights is:

Office for Civil Rights, Dallas Office
U.S. Department of Education
1999 Bryan St.
Suite 1620
Dallas, Texas 75201-6810
Phone: 214-661-9600
Fax: 214-661-9587

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Some U.S. Department of Health and Human Services programs include:

  • Medicaid and Medicaid-related programs
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families 
  • Community Care for the Aged and Disabled 
  • Community Based Alternatives and other Long-Term Care programs
  • HIV and STD prevention and treatment programs
  • Family and community health programs
  • Mental health programs
  • Substance abuse prevention and treatment programs

The address for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights is:

Regional Manager
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
1301 Young St.
Suite 1169
Dallas, Texas 75202
Phone: 214-253-2720
Fax: 214-253-2700