One of the options enabling adults with serious mental illness to remain in the community is the Home and Community-Based Services-Adult Mental Health (HCBS-AMH). This program is available in certain local mental health and behavioral health authority service regions. HCBS-AMH provides home and community-based services to adults with serious mental illness. The program provides services to match each person's needs to help them live and be successful in their chosen community. Services are designed to support long-term recovery from mental illness.
What Are the Benefits of HCBS-AMH Services?
- Services allow people to stay in their community and meet their goals.
- People choose their own services.
- People can choose from many different services.
- Recovery managers meet people at a place of their choice.
HCBS-AMH services include:
- Residential support services
- Mental health services
- Employment services
- Nursing services
- Peer support
- Adaptive aids
- Short-term respite care
- Substance use services
Full list of HCBS-AMH services and descriptions (PDF).
Who Is Eligible for HCBS-AMH Services?
Texans 18 years or older with a mental illness and an accepted Medicaid type for the program may be eligible if they meet one of the following criteria:
- Spent three or more of the past five years in a psychiatric hospital.
- Had four or more arrests and two psychiatric crises in the past three years.
- Had fifteen or more emergency room visits and two psychiatric crises in the past three years.
Check the HCBS-AMH Accepted Medicaid Plans list (PDF) to determine find if you have the type of Medicaid needed for the program.
How Do I Get HCBS-AMH Services?
- Ask your social worker for help if you are in a state hospital.
- Call the HCBS-AMH Inquiry Line (PDF) if you live in the community.
- For more information on the referral and enrollment process, email HCBS-AMH Enrollment and Referral.
- If you are interested in becoming a provider for HCBS-AMH, visit the How Do I Become an HCBS-AMH Provider? page or email HCBS-AMH Services.