Start Texercising! Get a FREE handbook that can help you on your road to fitness. Order Today.
Exercise has proven benefits at any age including:
- Helping boost your calorie-burning ability.
- Helping you feel better.
- Giving you a sense of achievement.
- Increasing your self-confidence.
- Improving your general sense of well-being.
- Helping you look good by toning your body.
Despite what you might see on TV or in magazines, starting a regular exercise program doesn't require you to join a gym or buy expensive gear. Anyone can safely do some form of physical activity at little to no cost.
Tips for Success
Texercise was created to help older Texans improve their health and become more fit. Here are some ways you can make Texercise work for you.
- Pick a regular day and time for physical activity. Having a routine helps.
- Exercise 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes.
- Work out with a friend and include activities you enjoy.
- Wear loose-fitting, weather-appropriate clothes that let you move freely. Wear comfortable shoes, preferably athletic shoes that provide good support and don't cause blisters or calluses.
- Learn to do the exercises correctly and safely.
Be patient; success won't happen overnight. It takes at least 3 weeks of regular exercise to start noticing changes in your body.
Intergenerational activities bring older adults and youth together to collaborate on shared projects and can result in positive effects on the participants while fostering connections. These types of activities can help reduce generational stereotyping while improving the quality of life of both participants. For older adults, there is enhanced life satisfaction, decreased isolation and improved health, and youth are more likely to feel connected to their communities, do better in school and continue to volunteer as they get older. Intergenerational opportunities can positively impact the health of both the older adult and youth engaging in the activity!
Texercise Connects is an intergenerational activity book that provides opportunities for older adults and youth to interact and engage with each another, create friendships, and foster growth and learning. The activity book aims to build and strengthen intergenerational relationships by providing activities around healthy behaviors (physical activity, nutrition, brain health and creativity).
Are you ready to participate in Texercise Connects? Visit the Aging Well Resources Order Form to download or order a free copy of the Texercise Connects workbook.