The Rural Access to Primary and Preventive Services program is one of four directed payment programs (DPPs) HHSC submitted to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for approval as part of the Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment Transition Plan. CMS approved RAPPS on March 25, 2022.
RAPPS is a DPP for rural health clinics (RHCs) that incentivizes the provision of primary and preventive services to individuals enrolled in the STAR, STAR+PLUS, and STAR Kids Medicaid managed care programs.
The program includes two components:
- Component 1 provides a uniform dollar increase in the form of prospective, monthly payments to all participating RHCs. The amount of the increase varies by RHC class. Component 1 structure measures include reporting on electronic health record use, telemedicine/ telehealth capabilities, and ensuring access to care for Medicaid clients.
- Component 2 is a uniform percent rate increase for certain services to incentivize preventive care and services to manage individuals' chronic conditions.
Proposed State Fiscal Year (SFY) 2023 (Year [Y]2) Measures, Requirements, and Evaluation
HHSC conducted a public hearing on January 11, 2022 to review proposed measures and reporting requirements for Y2 of RAPPS.
- Proposed Y2 Requirements (PDF)
- Proposed Y2 Measure Specifications (Excel)
- Y2 Measure Specifications FAQs (Excel) (3/1/2022)
- Stakeholder Feedback for Y2 (PDF) (3/1/2022)
- Y2 Evaluation Plan (3/31/2022)
SFY 2022 (Y1) Measures, Requirements, and Evaluation
- Y1 Requirements (PDF) (3/1/2022)
- Y1 Measure Specifications (Excel) (6/1/2022)
- Y1 Measure Specifications FAQs (Excel) (5/16/2022)
- Stakeholder Feedback for Y1 Proposals (PDF) (3/13/2021)
- Y1 Evaluation Plan (10/31/2022)
- Preliminary Y1 Evaluation Report (3/31/2022)
- Visit the HHSC Provider Finance Department website for more enrollment, eligibility and payment information for RAPPS.
- For financial questions, email PFD_Hospitals@hhsc.state.tx.us.
- For questions on RAPPS quality requirements, email DPPQuality@hhs.texas.gov.