The Comprehensive Hospital Increased Reimbursement Program is one of four directed payment programs HHSC has submitted for CMS approval as part of the Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment Transition Plan. The proposed start date is September 1, 2021.
CHIRP is a DPP for hospitals providing healthcare services to adults and children enrolled in STAR and STAR+PLUS. Eligible hospitals include children's hospitals, rural hospitals, mental health hospitals, state-owned hospitals, and urban hospitals.
The program is a change to the existing Uniform Hospital Rate Increase Program, currently in its fourth year of operation. Beginning in program year 5, the program would include two components:
- Component 1: CHIRP will continue to provide a uniform rate enhancement similar to UHRIP.
- Component 2: CHIRP’s Average Commercial Incentive Award payment component will allow participating providers to earn higher reimbursement rates based upon a percentage of the estimated average commercial reimbursement.
Proposed Year 2 Metrics and Associated Reporting Requirements
HHSC will conduct a public hearing on January 13, 2022, beginning at 9:30 a.m. CST, to review proposed measures and reporting requirements for year 2 of the Comprehensive Hospital Increased Reimbursement Program (CHIRP). Please note that CHIRP program year 1 is pending Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) approval.
Additional information on the hearing is available on the HHS Events Page.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this hearing will be conducted online only. There is not a physical location for this hearing. Please register for the hearing here.
Proposed Program Year 1 Rules and Requirements
- CHIRP rules §353.1306 and §353.1307
- CHIRP Requirements (PDF)
- CHIRP Stakeholder Feedback (PDF) (3/8/2021)
- Measure Specifications for CHIRP (Excel) (8/2/2021)
- Measure Specifications FAQs (Excel) (8/2/2021)
- Visit the HHSC Provider Finance website for more enrollment, eligibility and payment information for CHIRP.
- For financial questions, email PFD_Hospitals@hhsc.state.tx.us.
- For questions on CHIRP quality requirements, email DPPQuality@hhs.texas.gov.