Summer P-EBT (June–August 2022) is for families with children (K–12) who are certified for free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and for families with children born on or after Aug. 1, 2015, who receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) food benefits. Receiving free meals at school does not automatically make a child eligible for P-EBT benefits.
P-EBT benefits can be used the same way as SNAP benefits.
There is no summer 2022 P-EBT online application.
Read frequently asked questions about P-EBT for school year 2021–2022.
Who is eligible for summer P-EBT?
1) Families with children born on or after Aug. 1, 2015, who receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) food benefits.
Childcare-aged children (born on or after Aug. 1, 2015) who received SNAP food benefits at any time between June 2022–August 2022 will automatically receive summer P-EBT benefits on their Lone Star Card.
2) Children in K–12 who were certified for NSLP or attended a Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) or Provision 2 (P2) school during the 2021–2022 school year.
This includes children who did not receive 2021–2022 school year P-EBT benefits based on the COVID-related absences provided by their school. Children in K–12 must have been enrolled in a Texas NSLP campus during the last month of the 2021–2022 school year to be eligible.
3) Children in K–12 during the 2021–2022 school year who became certified for NSLP by submitting an NSLP household application between July 1 and Aug. 29, 2022.
A NSLP household application must have been submitted to the child’s school by Aug. 29 and then certified to be eligible for summer P-EBT benefits. Children in K–12 must have been enrolled in a Texas NSLP campus during the last month of the 2021–2022 school year to be eligible. These children are considered newly-eligible.
Do I have to apply for summer P-EBT?
No. There is no P-EBT application for summer 2022 P-EBT benefits.
How much money will I receive for summer P-EBT?
Eligible children will receive a one-time benefit of $391, which covers June 1, 2022 through Aug. 30, 2022.
When and how will I get my summer P-EBT funds?
If your household currently receives SNAP or you previously received P-EBT, we'll put your benefits on your existing Lone Star Card or P-EBT card starting in November if the information provided by schools/districts matches the information we have. If the information is different, we will send a new P-EBT card in the mail.
If you do not currently receive SNAP and have not received P-EBT benefits before, you will be sent a notice in the mail with a claim code starting in November. You can use this code to claim your child's P-EBT benefits by going to YourTexasBenefits.com or by calling the P-EBT Call Center at 833-442-1255. Detailed instructions are included in the notice. You will have 90 days from the date on the notice to claim your benefits.
Childcare-aged children (born on or after Aug. 1, 2015) who received SNAP food benefits at any time between June 2022–August 2022 will automatically receive summer P-EBT benefits on their Lone Star Card starting in December.
I received a claim code. What do I need to do next?
If you receive a claim code in the mail for P-EBT benefits, follow these instructions from your notice to claim your child's P-EBT benefits. To claim your child's benefits online:
- Log in or create an online account at YourTexasBenefits.com.
- If you have an account, enter your username and password.
- If you do not have an account, click 'Create a new account.'
- After you log in or create your account, click 'P-EBT Benefits' to go to the page where you can enter your claim code.
To claim your child's benefits by phone, call the P-EBT Call Center at 833-442-1255.
When claiming a child's benefits using the claim code, online or over the phone, you will also need to provide:
- Your child's name, Social Security number* (if they have one), and their date of birth; and
- The name of the child's parent or guardian, the parent or guardian's Social Security number* (if they have one), and their date of birth.
*Social Security numbers are preferred, but not required.
After you claim your child's benefits using the claim code online or over the phone, their benefits will be processed within two business days. You will receive a P-EBT card in the mail with your child's benefits loaded on it.
If my school gives out free meals, am I eligible for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)?
Free meals provided at a school may or may not be from the NSLP. Some Texas school campuses have offered free meals to all students due to the public health emergency. Receiving these free meals at school does not automatically make a student eligible for P-EBT. It is important to note that NSLP benefits require individual income eligibility unless a child attends a Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) or Provision 2 (P2) school.
How do I become eligible for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) for summer P-EBT?
Aug. 29, 2022 was the deadline for newly eligible families to complete and return the household application for free and reduced-price meals (NSLP form) to their school to be eligible for summer P-EBT. The deadline was Aug. 29 because it was the end of the federally approved summer P-EBT period. Forms received by schools after that date do not qualify for summer P-EBT.
- The socioeconomic form cannot be completed now to be eligible for summer P-EBT unless a child attends a newly eligible Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) or Provision 2 (P2) school.
- Families who were approved for NSLP because they filled out the socioeconomic form during the 2021–2022 school year (by June 30, 2022) are eligible for summer P-EBT.
If my child doesn’t receive summer P-EBT benefits and is eligible, what can I do?
A review of your benefits can be requested between Jan. 9 and April 7, 2023. To request a review, call the P-EBT Call Center at 833-442-1255, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central time.
After your request is submitted, HHS will review the benefit decision and contact your child's school for more information. The review process can take two to five weeks to complete.
If the review determines that your child was eligible for summer P-EBT, those benefits will be issued to your Lone Star Card or P-EBT Card or a claim code will be sent by mail.
Requests for review of a benefit decision can only be submitted once per household, and all review decisions are final.
I have more questions about summer P-EBT. Who do I contact?
You can call the P-EBT Call Center at 833-442-1255, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Central time.