What Training Is Available?
HHSC-sponsored person-centered thinking classroom training is suspended until further notice due to COVID-19.
HHSC and the Learning Community for Person-Centered Practices are offering a virtual person-centered thinking class to satisfy all training requirements until in-person trainings can resume.
For specific questions about COVID-19-related flexibilities, email HHSC Person-Centered Planning.
Person Centered Training Webinars
- March 22, 2021 - Strategic Plan Strategy for HHSC Leadership webinar recording.
Online Introductory Course to Person Centered Planning
The Texas Health and Human Services Online Introductory Course is appropriate for any member of the planning team, including:
- Legally authorized representatives
- Family members
- Nurses (required in some instances)
- Behavior specialists (required in some instances)
- Employment specialists (required in some instances)
- Attendants (required in some instances)
- Direct support professionals (required in some instances)
- Anyone asked to be a member of the planning team
Note: To access and complete this free online training, please go to the HHS Learning Portal, create a user login, and follow instructions to complete the training.
Dementia Care and Focus on the Montessori-Based Approach
A Montessori-based approach was first adapted for people with dementia by Dr. Cameron Camp over three decades ago. Since then, a Montessori Inspired Lifestyle® has become a model of person-centered care in residential communities around the world.
Visit the Center for Applied Research in Dementia online to learn more about the Original Montessori for Dementia Training® live trainings, online courses, events and to explore how a Montessori approach works for long- term care.
- Follow the Center for Applied Research in Dementia on social media @cen4ard for activity ideas and announcements.
- Visit Monarch Pathways to learn more how managers and leaders can use Montessori principles.
- Additional learning can be found at Sundance University.
Person-Centered Thinking Training
Note: The trainings are offered as a learning opportunity only. HHS does not endorse one provider, training or curriculum over another.
An introductory course also is offered by DirectCourseOnline. The online offering includes courses in Person-Centered Counseling (PCC) and Person-Centered Thinking and Practice. There are 12 lessons in all.
Person-Centered Thinking Classroom Course
To register for the Person-Centered Thinking 2-day classroom course, please go to the HHS Learning Portal, create a user login, and follow instructions to register for a class that is most convenient to your location.
HHS Approved Full Training
The following trainings are approved by Texas Health and Human Services for people required to take the full training, specifically case managers, service managers and service coordinators. If you would like to submit a training course to HHS for approval, email Person Centered Planning.
Remember to keep your training certificate.
- Person-Centered Counseling (PCC), Person-Centered Thinking and Practice (online) and Person-Centered Thinking and Practice In-Person Course (one-day facilitated training)
- eCourse Catalog Person-Centered Counseling: Person-Centered Thinking and Practices (12 lessons, 8.5 contact hours)
- Lara Consulting Services
- Institute for Person-Centered Planning Person Centered Thinking
- Learning Community for Person Centered Practices' Person Centered Thinking Training, can be provided by any Learning Community-certified trainer
- United Health Care Person-Centered Transitions to Community Living
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Provider call center: 888-887-9003, 877-842-3210 or 800-905-8671