Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services (CRS)

What is CRS?

The Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services program assists eligible people who have a traumatic brain injury (TBI), traumatic spinal cord injury (TSCI), or both, function independently in their home and community. Services can be related to communication, mobility and self-care.

If you have experienced a TBI or TSCI, Texas Health and Human Services (HHS) can help you live more independently. The CRS program staff work with the injured person and their family members to identify rehabilitation goals and services. Potential services will be outlined below.

HHS defines a traumatic injury as one that is the result of an external physical force. TBIs and TSCIs can be the result of a car accident, fall, assault, violence or sports injury.

Who is Eligible for Services ?

To qualify for CRS, you must:

  • Have a TBI or TSCI which was caused by an external physical force which significantly affects your ability to function within your home or community in terms of self-care, mobility or communication
  • Be at least 15 years of age.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and a Texas resident
  • Be willing to participate in services
  • Be medically stable enough to participate in rehabilitation activities

What is a TBI?

A TBI is an injury caused by an external physical force that results in temporary or permanent impairment of cognitive abilities or physical functioning and partial or total functional disability or psychosocial maladjustment. It is not a degenerative or congenital issue.

What is a TSCI?

A TSCI is an acute, traumatic lesion of neural elements caused by an external physical force in the spinal canal resulting in any degree of temporary or permanent sensory or motor deficit, and/or bladder or bowel dysfunction.

What Does CRS Pay For?

CRS can pay for rehabilitation services on the treatment plan within certain limitations. Participants must first use all available personal medical benefits, such as medical insurance, Medicare or Medicaid, before they can use CRS program funding to pay for services.

What Kind of Services Can I Get?

Inpatient comprehensive rehabilitation medical services (ICMRS)

Services provided in a hospital setting to address medical and rehabilitation issues that require 24-hour-a-day nursing services. Depending on time frame of application, these services are available to consumers who have a TBI, TSCI or both.

Post-acute rehabilitation services (PARS)

Provided as recommend by an interdisciplinary team based on consumer need.

Post-acute brain injury services (PABI)

Services to address deficits in functional and cognitive skills, including behavior management, coping skills development and compensatory strategies. The services may be provided in a residential or non-residential setting.

Post-acute spinal cord injury services (PASCI)

Services to address deficits in functional skills such as transferring and other activities related to daily living. The services are provided in the home and in the community (non-residential) settings.

Outpatient therapies

Rehabilitation services that do not require admittance to a hospital or clinic. These services help participants perform daily activities affected by their injury, including occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy and cognitive therapy. Participants return home after treatment.

Will I Have to Wait for Services?

When you call CRS, you are added to the interest list. Then, when you are determined eligible and a plan of service has been completed, you move to the waiting list.

Because people receive services on a first-come, first-served basis, wait time for services varies.

You should complete an application for services as soon as possible, but you must be medically stable and able to participate in rehabilitation services before HHS can determine eligibility and start services.

How do I Request Services?

You can:

  • CRS Referral
  • Call 2-1-1
  • Contact the HHS Office of the Ombudsman
    • 877-787-8999, select a language, and then select Option 3.
    • Submit your request online
    • You can also send a fax to 888-780-8099 or write to:
      HHS Office of the Ombudsman
      P.O. Box 13247
      Austin, TX 78711-3247

What Potential Providers can be Accessed through the CRS Program?

You can find a service provider using one of the lists below:

CRS Brochure

The program brochure provides general program information, available services and program contact information.