The subject of a Child Care Licensing background check may dispute the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in the background check results (26 TAC §745.643).
There may be times when background check results reviewed and processed by the Centralized Background Check Unit do not include complete information about the case. Often, arrest or investigation history is reflected immediately, but because a case might take time for a disposition to be made, the final result of the arrest or investigation may not have been available for the CBCU to review at the time the background check request was made.
If your request for review is based on incomplete or inaccurate information in your criminal history record, you will likely need to work with the agency that reported the information to HHSC to ensure their records are updated. Contact your Centralized Background Check Unit representative for additional guidance, if needed.
If you feel your background check results included history that you believe does not belong to you, please see "What can I do if I don't believe that the criminal background check results provided are really mine?" on the CCL Background Check FAQs – General Licensing page.
If your request for review is based on incomplete or inaccurate information in your child abuse/neglect registry history, please contact the Centralized Background Check Unit staff person who sent the determination letter.
Out-of-State Criminal History or Child Abuse and Neglect Registry Checks
Because Out-of-State findings are managed by agencies outside of Texas, you must contact the applicable agency that provided you with the results to dispute any information contained within them. Contact your Centralized Background Check Unit representative for additional guidance, if needed.
Sex Offender Status
If you feel you are incorrectly listed on a Sex Offender Registry, please contact your Centralized Background Check Unit representative. You may be asked to provide a copy of your identification, or asked to provide copies of court records searches, or copies of court documents in order to verify your status.
Requesting a Review of a Licensing Background Check Determination
You may request a review of a Child Care Licensing background check determination if you believe:
- The information used to make the determination does not belong to you or is otherwise inaccurate,
- The information used to make the determination is incomplete, or
- You have new information that was not available when the determination was made.
To request a review of a background check determination or risk evaluation decision (26 TAC §745.645):
- Submit your request in writing (email, fax, or mail) to the Centralized Background Check Unit staff person who sent the determination letter.
- Submit your request within 30 days of the determination letter OR when there is information that was not available at the time of the determination.
- Include the following:
- Your name
- The date of the background check determination
- The reason a review is being requested
- Any new information regarding the background check results that was not available when the determination was made