The Comprehensive Hospital Increase Reimbursement Program is one of four directed payment programs (DPPs) HHSC submitted to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for approval as part of the Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment Transition Plan. CMS approved CHIRP for state fiscal year (SFY) 2022 (Year [Y] 1) on March 25, 2022. CMS approved CHIRP for SFY 2023 (Y2) on August 1, 2022.
CHIRP is a DPP for hospitals providing healthcare services to adults and children enrolled in the STAR and STAR+PLUS Medicaid managed care programs. Eligible hospitals include children's hospitals, rural hospitals, mental health hospitals, state-owned hospitals, and urban hospitals.
The program is a change to the previous Uniform Hospital Rate Increase Program (UHRIP).
- Component 1: UHRIP provides a uniform rate enhancement on all hospital inpatient and outpatient services claims.
- Component 2: Average Commercial Incentive Award (ACIA) is a uniform rate enhancement above the UHRIP rate, based upon a percentage of the estimated average commercial reimbursement. Participating hospitals may opt into this component.
Proposed SFY 2024 (Y3) Measures and Requirements
The proposed quality requirements and measures are submitted to CMS for annual program review and approval. The final quality measures and reporting requirements will be posted following CMS' approval.
- Proposed Y3 Requirements (PDF) (2/23/2023)
- Proposed Y3 Measure Specifications (Excel) (2/23/2023)
- Proposed Y3 Measure Specifications FAQs (Excel) (2/23/2023)
- Stakeholder Feedback for Y3 (PDF) (2/23/2023)
SFY 2023 (Y2) Measures, Requirements, and Evaluation
- Y2 Requirements (PDF) (1/10/2022)
- Y2 Measure Specifications (Excel) (3/23/2023)
- Y2 Measure Specifications FAQs (Excel) (3/23/2023)
- Stakeholder Feedback for Y2 (PDF) (3/1/2022)
SFY 2022 (Y1) Measures, Requirements, and Evaluation
- Y1 Requirements (PDF)
- Y1 Measure Specifications (Excel) (8/9/2022)
- Y1 Measure Specifications FAQs (Excel) (8/9/2022)
- Stakeholder Feedback for Y1 (PDF) (3/8/2021)
- Y1 Provider-Reported Data (Excel) (10/27/2022)
CHIRP rules §353.1306 and §353.1307
- Visit the HHSC Provider Finance Department website for more enrollment, eligibility and payment information for CHIRP.
- For program eligibility and financial questions, email PFD_Hospitals@hhsc.state.tx.us.
- For questions on CHIRP quality requirements and reporting, email DPPQuality@hhs.texas.gov.
Reporting Portal Access
If you are participating in the CHIRP program, you will use the reporting portal to access templates, review technical guidance, and submit your quality reporting. If you need to add a user or change access, submit a contact change form.