The Comprehensive Hospital Increase Reimbursement Program is one of four directed payment programs (DPPs) HHSC submitted to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for approval as part of the Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment Transition Plan. CMS approved CHIRP for State Fiscal Year (SFY) 2024 (Y3) on July 31, 2023.
CHIRP is a DPP for hospitals providing healthcare services to adults and children enrolled in the STAR and STAR+PLUS Medicaid managed care programs. Eligible hospitals include children's hospitals, rural hospitals, mental health hospitals, state-owned hospitals, and urban hospitals.
The program is a change to the previous Uniform Hospital Rate Increase Program (UHRIP).
- Component 1: UHRIP provides a uniform rate enhancement on all hospital inpatient and outpatient services claims.
- Component 2: Average Commercial Incentive Award (ACIA) is a uniform rate enhancement above the UHRIP rate, based upon a percentage of the estimated average commercial reimbursement. Participating hospitals may opt into this component.
SFY 2024 (Y3) Measures and Requirements
- Y3 Requirements (PDF) (2/23/2023)
- Y3 Measure Specifications and FAQs (Excel) (9/8/2023)
- Stakeholder Feedback for Y3 (PDF) (2/23/2023)
- Getting Ready for Quality Reporting (PDF) (6/29/23)
- Webinar recording: Getting Ready for Quality Reporting (6/29/23)
- Webinar slide deck: Getting Ready for Quality Reporting (PDF) (6/29/23)
SFY 2023 (Y2) Measures and Requirements
- Y2 Requirements (PDF) (1/10/2022)
- Y2 Measure Specifications (Excel) (3/23/2023)
- Y2 Measure Specifications FAQs (Excel) (3/23/2023)
- Stakeholder Feedback for Y2 (PDF) (3/1/2022)
SFY 2022 (Y1) Measures and Requirements
- Y1 Requirements (PDF)
- Y1 Measure Specifications (Excel) (8/9/2022)
- Y1 Measure Specifications FAQs (Excel) (8/9/2022)
- Stakeholder Feedback for Y1 (PDF) (3/8/2021)
- Y1 Provider-Reported Data (Excel) (10/27/2022)
- Visit the HHSC Provider Finance Department website for more enrollment, eligibility and payment information for CHIRP.
- For program eligibility and financial questions, email HHSC PFD Hospitals.
- For questions on CHIRP quality requirements and reporting, email HHSC DPP Quality.
Reporting Portal Access
If you are participating in the CHIRP program, you will use the reporting portal to access templates, review technical guidance, and submit your quality reporting. If you need to add a user or change access, submit a contact change form.