How to Become a PPECC Provider

Texas Health and Human Services licenses and certifies prescribed pediatric extended care facilities for compliance with state laws and regulations. Through these regulatory activities, HHSC protects Texas citizens receiving these services.

What is a PPECC?

A prescribed pediatric extended care center is operated for profit or on a nonprofit basis that provides nonresidential basic services to four or more medically dependent or technologically dependent minors who require the services of the center and who are not related by blood, marriage or adoption to the owner or operator of the center.

Becoming Licensed in Texas

PPECCs must be licensed to operate in Texas. To become licensed, a location must:

  • Properly complete and submit the license application.
  • Obtain approval of building plans through plan review by HHS Architectural Unit.
  • Pay the required license fee.
  • Submit appropriate ownership documents, if applicable.
  • Pass Life Safety Code and health inspections.
  • Be approved by the Licensure and Certification Unit.

Process Maps

The following process maps provide an overview of the licensure and certification process.

Types of Applications


An initial application is an application that has never been issued an HHS license to operate in the State of Texas.

Change of Ownership

A Change of Ownerships application happens when the facility or center changes the tax ID number.


Closing a facility or center and the movement of its residents to another location. A license holder must not relocate a facility or center without approval from HHS.


A renewal application for current license holder must be submitted on or before the licensure expiration date. Late fees can apply. Any application submitted after the licensure expiration date will not be accepted.

Increase in Capacity

An increase in capacity application must be submitted for an increase in capacity. A license holder must not increase a center's licensed capacity without approval from HHS.


An applicant can request HHS issue a temporary license pending a review of the application for an initial license and meeting the requirements.

Time Frames for Applications

License Application for an Initial, Relocation, Renewal and Change of Ownership

  • Upon receipt of a license application the HHS Licensing and Credentialing Unit has up to 30 days to review the application.
  • If HHS receives an incomplete application, the HHS Licensing and Credentialing Unit will notify the applicant in writing of any deficient items in the application. The applicant must respond with complete and correct information within 30 days from the date of notification. If the application is not completed within the 30 days after notification, it will be denied.
  • The applicant must submit building plans to HHSC for review.
  • The applicant must submit a current and approved fire marshal inspection.
  • The applicant must provide written notice the building is in compliance with Subchapter E of the Licensing Standards for Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care Centers and ready for a Life Safety Code survey.
  • When the Life Safety Code survey is passed, one resident but no more than three can be admitted to the building. The applicant must submit a written notification that at least one resident has been admitted and no more than three residents is admitted, and the location is ready for the health survey and pass the inspection.
  • Upon receipt of a complete application and passing recommendations about Life Safety Code and health surveys, the Licensing and Credentialing Unit will issue the license within 45 days.

Licensure Fees

  • Initial, renewal, change of ownership and relocation licensing fees: $2,625.
  • Increase capacity fee: $1,312.50 per bed.
  • Late fee: $50 per day after 60-day submission deadline (max $500) will be assessed if the renewal application is submitted less than 60 days before the license expiration date.

Changes of Information

Change in the Facility Name

If license holder intends to change its name (legal entity or doing business as) but does not undergo a change of ownership, the name change must be reported. Another license will be issued to reflect this change.


A license may not be transferred from one location to another without prior notice to HHS. 26 TAC §550.111.

Changes in Phone Number

Changes in phone number must be submitted in writing as soon as possible.

Fax Number and Email Address

Report as soon as possible.

Changes in Management

Report as soon as possible.

Changes in Controlling Person

Changes in controlling person (stock transfers), as defined in 26 TAC §550.5(23) must be reported as soon as possible.


A license holder must notify HHS in writing at least 60 days before the facility closes and return the facility or center license.

License Application Forms

Visit the TULIP website for application forms and instructions. Go to TULIP.

  • Form 3720 – P - Application for State License to Operate a Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care Center. This application is used for locations that provide services to four or more medically dependent or technologically dependent minors who require the services of the facility.
  • Form 3725, Licensure Change of Ownership Affidavit. This form must be completed by the incoming and outgoing owner.

Rules and Statutes

HHSC Contracting

When submitting an application through the online portal (TULIP), this action only applies to the license itself. PPECC providers who also have contracts with HHSC need to contact their contract manager to discuss how a licensure action could impact the contract they hold.

For more information, see the following links: