Become a Certified Authorized Provider to Conduct a DID

Local intellectual and developmental disability authorities (LIDDAs) can request that the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) certify an employee other than a licensed psychologist or physician to conduct a determination of intellectual disability (DID).

The qualifications for this certification are outlined in Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Title 26, Chapter 304, Subchapter C, §304.302(Certified Authorized Provider).

To Learn More

To begin the process, LIDDAs must send an email with supporting documents to CAP Request. Please send emails without encryption to ensure your request is processed in a timely manner.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. I am a Licensed Psychologist in Texas who conducts DIDs for a LIDDA. Do I have to be certified by HHSC?

No, certification does not apply to Psychologists licensed by the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council (TBHEC) to practice independently. However, it is advised the LIDDA send the name and contact information of the Psychologist to CAP Request so they may be added to the Authorized Provider mailing list.

2. What kind of license is required for certification?

You must have a current license granted by the TBHEC for one of the following:

  • Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA)
  • Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (LSSP)
  • Provisionally Licensed Psychologist

3. The TAC says I have to be an "employee" of a LIDDA or state supported living center (SSLC). Do I have to work full-time?

Working full-time or part-time is not relevant for certification.

4. I am an LPA, but I don't work for a LIDDA or an SSLC. Can I get certified anyway?

If you are authorized to practice independently (sometimes referred to as LPA-IP), you may contract with a LIDDA or SSLC to be a Level II Certified Authorized Provider. If you are not authorized to practice independently, you must be employed by a LIDDA or SSLC. It is the responsibility of the LIDDA or SSLC to request certification on your behalf.

Please refer to 22 TAC §463.8 for information on licensing and supervision requirements for psychological associates, as well as requirements for independent practice.

5. I was certified by the former Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) but left to work in the private sector. If I am hired by a LIDDA to conduct DIDs, can I use my previous certification?

No, your original certification became ineffective when you resigned your previous position. If you are hired by a LIDDA to conduct DIDs, the LIDDA must submit a new request for certification on your behalf.

6. I've been conducting DIDs for the same LIDDA for several years. Is there anything I need to do after adoption of the new rules in 26 TAC Chapter 304, Diagnostic Assessment?

As long as you remain employed by the same LIDDA and meet the other requirements, your certification remains in effect.

7. What is the proper way to sign a DID report?

Certified Authorized Providers may not represent themselves as a “Psychologist.” HHSC recommends signing reports and endorsements using the term "Certified Authorized Provider" followed by the number found on the certificate issued by HHSC. Examples of appropriate ways to sign:

  • John Smith, Certified Authorized Provider #2001
  • John Smith, MS, LPA, Certified Authorized Provider #2001

8. My co-worker's certificate uses the term "Certified Psychologist" and my certificate uses the term "Certified Authorized Provider, Level l." Which one is correct?

Both certificates remain in effect as long as both persons meet requirements. See the following table for terms that may appear on a certificate based on when it was issued

Date IssuedIssuing AgencyTerms Used
Before 9/1/2004TDMHMR
  • TDMHMR Certified Psychologist
  • Certified Psychologist
9/1/2004 – 8/31/2013DADS
  • DADS Certified Psychologist
  • Certified Psychologist
9/1/2013 – 11/2015DADS
  • DADS Certified Provider
  • Authorized Provider
  • Certified Authorized Provider
11/2015 – 10/2/2021HHSC
  • Certified Authorized Provider
  • Authorized Provider
11/1/2021 – currentHHSC
  • Certified Authorized Provider, Level l
  • Certified Authorized Provider, Level ll
  • Authorized Provider

9. Am I supposed to get my certificate renewed every year?

No, your certification remains in effect as long as you meet the requirements. There is no renewal requirement.

10. If I change my name due to marriage or divorce, will I get a new certificate?

HHSC recommends that your certificate match the name on your license. You may request an updated certificate from CAP Request.

11. Can I use my certification at another LIDDA or SSLC?

No, your status as a Certified Authorized Provider is specific to the LIDDA or SSLC listed on the certificate. Your new employer must submit a new request for certification on your behalf.

12. I lost my certificate – what should I do?

Your manager may request a new certificate by sending an email to CAP Request with the following information:

  • Name of certified staff
  • Certificate number
  • Supervisor's attestation of certified staff's original hire date and continuous employment (or contract, for Level II Certified Authorized Provider) with the LIDDA or SSLC
  • Scanned copy of TBHEC or TSBEP license (excluding those persons who were grandfathered without a license in December 2000).

13. I am certified to conduct DIDs at an SSLC where I am employed to work four days per week. I have an opportunity to keep my current job but also work part-time for a LIDDA. Can I do that?

Yes, you may conduct DIDs for both entities if you are:

  • employed by both (or contracted, for a Level II Certified Authorized Provider),
  • certified to conduct DIDs for both, and
  • the arrangement does not create a conflict of interest.

Before you enter into a dual employment situation, talk to your current and prospective employers to ensure they are aware of and in support of the arrangement.

14. I have a new employee that needs to be certified. What do I submit and to whom do I send it?

Submit a request to CAP Request with the following information:

26 TAC §304.302 RequirementsDocumentation Accepted

For Level l applicants:
Current employment with the LIDDA or SSLC

For Level II applicants:
Current employment or contracts with the LIDDA or SSLC

Statement in email (or scanned copy of signed letter) from the employee's supervisor or agency's contract manager attesting to the date of employment/contracted arrangement with the LIDDA or SSLC.

Current licensure as:

For Level I applicants:

  1. a Provisionally Licensed Psychologist;
  2. a Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA); or
  3. a Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (LSSP)


For Level II applicants:

a Licensed Psychological Associate authorized to practice independently (LPA-IP)

Scanned copy of current TBHEC or TSBEP license
Successful completion of graduate course work in individual intellectual assessmentScanned copy of graduate school transcript with course(s) marked or highlighted
Supervised experience or successful completion of graduate course work in assessing intellectual and adaptive behavior assessment for individuals with an intellectual or developmental disability

Options (choose one):

  1. Vita or resume;
  2. Scanned letter signed by clinical supervisor; or
  3. Scanned copy of graduate school transcript with course(s) marked or highlighted.
One year of employment, internship, or practicum in the field of intellectual disabilityVita or resume

15. As the director of IDD services at a LIDDA, I am ready to make an offer to an applicant who seems qualified, but I'm not sure. Can I find out if an applicant meets the certification requirements before I hire her?

Yes, if you submit the required information (excluding verification of employment) HHSC will review the information and let you know if the applicant meets the requirements to be certified. After you hire the person, you must notify HHSC to request the certificate. HHSC can issue the certificate as long as the applicant's license remains current. If license expiration is imminent, HHSC may request a copy of the renewed license before issuing the certificate.

16. I work for a LIDDA and want to hire a person who works part time at an SSLC, and who is certified to conduct DIDs at the SSLC, to work part time for my LIDDA. Is that arrangement acceptable?

You must seek certification on behalf of your new employee by submitting the required information. However, before extending an offer of employment, all parties involved should be aware of and in support of the arrangement. As a reminder, the SSLC is subject to state Human Resources (HR) policy. As such, the SSLC must ensure the arrangement does not violate HR policy concerning "Outside Employment (Moonlighting)."

17. Do I notify HHSC when a Certified Authorized Provider leaves employment?

Although not required, notifying HHSC that a Certified Authorized Provider is no longer employed by you (i.e., LIDDA or SSLC) will help ensure HHSC has the most current information.

18. If I hire or contract with a person who is certified to conduct DIDs for another LIDDA or SSLC do I have to do anything?

Yes, you must submit documentation to HHSC requesting certification for the Certified Authorized Provider to conduct DIDs on your behalf.

19. An LPA employed by a LIDDA works solely under the supervision of a Licensed Psychologist (LP) associated with the LIDDA. The LP reviews and signs all of the LPA's DID reports. Does that LPA need to become certified by HHSC?

If all DID reports that are completed by that LPA are signed by the supervising licensed psychologist associated with the LIDDA, then that LPA does not need to become a certified authorized provider.

20. How can I find out if a psychologist is licensed?

Please visit the TBHEC website.