Changes in service planning for the Home and Community-based Services (HCS) program were initiated to address difficulties with the current service planning process, including:
- Communication barriers between service coordinators and providers
- Repetition in the person-directed plan (PDP)
- Time spent on PDP and implementation plan (IP) development
- Disconnect between the PDP and the IP
A workgroup comprised of stakeholders from advocacy groups, local authorities (LAs), program providers and the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) addressed identified concerns with HCS service planning. Changes made by the workgroup:
- Emphasize developing a "support team" for each individual.
- Streamline the service planning process and makes it easier to understand.
- Create a Discovery Guide.
- Revise the PDP so that information in it contributes directly to the IP.
The following core concepts of service delivery are considered essential elements and are emphasized in the changes:
- Person-centered thinking: "THINK people first!"
- Discovery: "DISCOVER what's important!"
- Person-directed planning: "PLAN a future!"
- Implementation: "ACT with purpose!"
Forms and Tools
The following forms and tools are available for review. Implementation of revised planning changes by all LAs and HCS program providers will begin Sept. 1, 2013. The use of the revised forms will occur at the time of the individual's annual IPC renewal. Full implementation of revised planning changes by all LAs and HCS program providers will take place by Sept. 1, 2014.
- Form 2125 — Home and Community-based Services Implementation Plan
- Form 8665-ID — Home and Community-based Services (HCS) Individual Data
- Form 8665 — HCS Person-Directed Plan
- Discovery Guide
- Discovery Tool
Training and Resources
The following PowerPoint (available in PDF and HTML format) provides more information regarding the changes being made to service planning:
- Overview: Changes to Service Planning in HCS (PDF)
- Overview: Changes to Service Planning in HCS (HTML)
Each of the sample packets below include the following DADS forms: Individual Data, Person-Directed Plan, Individualized Plan of Care and applicable Implementation Plans. The sample Update Packet includes services that are changed, services that are discontinued, as well as services that are added as a guide for how to make these types of updates.
- Person Directed Planning Guidelines (PDF)
- The Learning Community for Person Centered Practice
- The Quality Mall
Please send questions regarding changes to service planning in HCS to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Note: Form 2125 is an optional form but contains the "required elements" of an implementation plan.