Sign up to receive email updates about important changes to the Abortion Facility Licensing Program.
Abortion Facilities in Texas are regulated by the Texas Health and Human Services Commission. The Regulatory Services Division within HHSC is responsible for overseeing the licensing and compliance of Abortion Facilities as required by Texas Administrative Code, Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 139, Abortion Facility Reporting and Licensing Rules, §139.23 Application Procedures and Issuance of Licenses. The division conducts surveys during the initial licensing period to review facility and personnel records, policies and procedures, interview staff, and discuss final survey findings to ascertain compliance with Health and Safety Code and associated rules.
For information regarding licensure for health care facilities, contact the zone office for your location at Health Facility Compliance Zone Office (PDF).
The Health & Safety Code, Chapter 245, Abortion Facilities statute requires a "universal reporting" of abortion procedures by all providers of abortion services. The statute contains strict confidentiality provisions relating to the release by HHSC of any information pertaining to an abortion facility. The statute does allow for the release of statistical information reported to the HHSC. This information is compiled with assistance of the HHSC Center for Analytics and Decision Support and is viewable on their Induced Termination of Pregnancy Statistics page. The latest abortion information can be found on the HHS website.
Abortion Reporting Forms and Supporting Documents
Abortion Reporting Forms
The following forms are required to be submitted to CADS:
- Induced Abortion Report Form
- Medical Emergency Abortion Incident Reporting Form
- Third Trimester Induced Abortion Certification Form
- Abortion Complication Reporting Form
For questions regarding regulatory ITOP reporting requirements, please contact email@example.com.
For assistance completing the online forms, for technical support, or to provide feedback on the user experience, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Disclosure and Consent Form (PDF) - Required by the Texas Medical Board
- Informed Consent Certification Form
- Affidavit of Age Form (English)
- Affidavit of Age Form (Spanish, PDF)
Find or Verify a Licensee
- Verify a facility license by searching the Online Licensing System
The following documents, fees, and actions shall be completed and approved before a license will be issued:
Change of Ownership Application
During the initial licensing period, Health Facility Compliance Zone Office staff will conduct an on-site survey to determine compliance with the provisions of the Health and Safety Code and associated rules. An entrance conference will be held with key facility personnel. Zone office staff will explain the survey process and answer questions. During the survey, zone office staff will:
- Review clinical records.
- Review facility policies and procedures.
- Review quality assurance activities.
- Review personnel records.
- Interview staff.
- Conduct an exit conference with key facility personnel.
- Discuss survey findings.
Laws and Rules
- Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 170
- Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 171
- Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 245
Rules & Regulations
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 139, Abortion Facility Reporting and Licensing Rules
- Women's Right to Know (PDF)
Human Trafficking Resources
- Human Trafficking Prevention Task Force Training Curriculum (PDF)
- HB 2552 Background Information (PDF)
- Human Trafficking Sign – English (PDF)
- Human Trafficking Sign – Spanish (PDF)
- HHSC Texas Human Trafficking Resource Center
Call the toll-free phone number for consumer information on abortion facilities compliance issues:
Open Records Requests
Texas Health and Human Services is committed to providing full access to public information. For information on how to submit an open records request, visit the Open Records Policy & Procedures webpage.
General Email, Fax, Phone and Mailing Information
Mailing Address for Applications with Fees:
P.O. BOX 149055
Austin, Texas 78714-9055