Sign up to receive email updates abortion facilities.
Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 245 establishes the state licensing requirements for abortion facilities and Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 171, also referred to as the Woman’s Right to Know Act, establishes requirements for the reporting of abortions and a patient’s informed consent to the abortion. Under state law, HHSC is responsible for adopting and enforcing rules and issuing and overseeing the licensing and regulation of abortion facilities in Texas. The Regulatory Services Division within HHSC carries out these duties.
HHSC adopts rules for abortion facilities including establishing standards for:
- Licensing procedures and fees
- License denial, probation, suspension, and revocation
- Protecting the health and safety of an abortion facility patient
- Compliance with Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 171, Subchapter B, concerning Informed Consent
Texas Health and Safety Code Chapters 245 and 171 require abortion facilities and physicians that provide abortion services to report to HHSC certain information about abortion procedures the provider performs. HHSC must follow strict confidentiality provisions in the law regarding any information about an abortion facility. The law does allow HHSC to release statistical information reported to HHSC by abortion providers. The HHSC Office of Data, Analytics, and Performance (DAP) compiles this statistical information and publishes it on HHSC’s Induced Termination of Pregnancy Statistics webpage.
Abortion Reporting Forms
The following forms are required to be submitted by the physician to DAP:
- Induced Abortion Report Form
- Medical Emergency Abortion Incident Reporting Form
- Third Trimester Induced Abortion Certification Form
- Abortion Complication Reporting Form
The following form is required to be submitted by the facility to DAP:
For questions regarding the statutory and regulatory abortion reporting requirements, please contact HCR_PRU@hhs.texas.gov.
For assistance completing the online forms, for technical support, or to provide feedback on the user experience, email email@example.com.
Laws and Rules
- Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 245
- Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 171
- Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 170
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 139, Abortion Facility Reporting and Licensing Rules
- Women's Right to Know (PDF)
Find or Verify a License
- Verify a facility license by searching the Online Licensing System
An applicant seeking an abortion facility license must submit a completed application, license fee, and other applicable documents to HHSC. The Health Facility Licensing Unit will not process an application until after HHSC Accounts Receivable receives and posts the license fee.
Refer to the application or instructions linked in this section for specific requirements.
HHSC must review and approve all required application materials received and the facility must pass a pre-licensing inspection before HHSC may issue a license to an applicant.
Initial Licensure Application
Change of Ownership Application
Renewal Licensure Application
Supporting Forms and Documents
- Disclosure and Consent Form (PDF) - Required by the Texas Medical Board
- Informed Consent Certification Form
- Affidavit of Age Form (English)
- Affidavit of Age Form (Spanish, PDF)
Complaint and Incident Submission Information
- Incidents Submission Portal for Health Care Regulation Providers page
- File a Complaint for a Health Facility page
HHSC conducts health compliance on-site inspections to determine compliance with the provisions of the Health and Safety Code and associated rules listed in the Laws and Rules section of this page. During the inspection, HHSC staff generally perform the following tasks:
- Conduct an entrance and an exit conference with applicable facility personnel
- Explain the inspection process and answer questions
- Review clinical records.
- Review facility and personnel records
- Review facility policies and procedures.
- Review quality assurance activities.
- Interview staff.
- Assess the facility's compliance with applicable statutes and rules
- Discuss the inspection findings with applicable facility personnel
Public Information Regarding Facility Licensure and Compliance Status
Call the toll-free phone number for abortion facility licensure, inspection, and enforcement information:
Human Trafficking Resources
- Human Trafficking Prevention Task Force Training Curriculum (PDF)
- HB 2552 Background Information (PDF)
- Human Trafficking Sign – English (PDF)
- Human Trafficking Sign – Spanish (PDF)
- HHSC Texas Human Trafficking Resource Center
Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments Information
Refer to our CLIA information page. For more information on CLIA, please contact your regional office (PDF).
Health Care Regulation Contact Information
For Health Care Regulation contact information, visit our Contact Us page.
Health Care Facility Enforcement
Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Regulatory Services Division
Health Care Facility Enforcement, MC 1866
P.O. Box 149347
Austin, TX 78714-9347
Open Records Requests
Texas Health and Human Services is committed to providing full access to public information. For information on how to submit an open records request, visit the Open Records Policy and Procedures webpage.