Substance use and misuse affect people from all backgrounds and age groups. A substance use disorder occurs when there is recurrent use of a substance that affects a person's daily life. Substance use services meet the person where they are and coordinate cares for the best possible outcome.
There are a variety of intervention and treatment options designed to promote stability and help people start their recovery journey. Customized treatment and care planning can include services like peer support, case management, individual and group therapy, employment assistance and recovery housing, and community service navigation.
The array of substance use services offered encourages people to seek recovery through prevention, intervention, treatment, and recovery support.
Substance use treatment services:
- Withdrawal Management
- Adult Substance Use Residential Treatment
- Adult Substance Use Outpatient Treatment
- Adult Substance Use Medication-Assisted Treatment
- Adult Substance Use Women with Children Residential Treatment
- Co-Occurring Psychiatric and Substance Use Disorder
- Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Youth Substance Use Treatment Services
Substance use intervention services:
- Outreach, Screening, Assessment & Referral
- Pregnant and Parenting Intervention
- Parenting Awareness and Drug Risk Education
- Rural Border Intervention Program
- Community Health Workers
Recovery support services:
For a description of substance use services, visit the Mental Health & Substance Use page.
To locate a funded substance use service, visit the HHSC treatment locater.
How to Become a Provider
- Substance Use Disorder Program Guide (PDF)
- The statements of work will be posted soon. Until then, providers can request a copy by emailing: SubstanceAbuse.Contracts@hhs.texas.gov
- Budget Schedules – Cost Reimbursement (Excel)
- Clinical Management for Behavioral Health Services Security Attestation Form (PDF)
- Texas Department of Family and Protective Services Memorandum of Understanding (MS Word)
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Request for Interpreter Services Form (Excel)
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Request for Interpreter Services Form Instructions (MS Word)
- PPI Quarterly Expenditure Report (Excel)
- Request for Budget/Program Adjustment – Cost Reimbursement (Excel)
- Request for Budget/Program Adjustment – Unit Rate (Excel)
- Clinic Request Form (Excel)
- Treatment Rate Sheet (Excel)
- 2023 HHSC Substance Use Disorder Financial Eligibility Sliding Scale (Excel)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- SAMHSA TIP 42: Substance Abuse Treatment For Person with Co-Occurring Disorders
Rules and Statutes
Texas Administrative Code:
- Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 140, Subchapter I (relating to Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor Program)
- Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 229, Subchapter J (relating to Minimum Standards for Narcotic Treatment Programs)
- Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 441 (relating to General Provisions)
- Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 448 (relating to Standard of Care)
- Title 26, Part 1, Chapter 321 (relating to Substance Use Services)
Substance Use Services Flyer
Texas Health and Human Services has developed a flyer that can be shared electronically to help individuals locate substance use services in their area.
For question about programs, policy, or planning email: Substance_Use_Disorder@hhs.texas.gov.
For questions about contracts, budgets or submitting reports, email: SubstanceAbuse.Contracts@hhs.texas.gov.