Substance use disorders affect people from all backgrounds and age groups. These disorders occur when there is recurrent use of a substance that affects a person's daily life. Substance use services meet the person where they are and coordinate cares for the best possible outcome.
There are a variety of interventions a person can elect to access throughout their treatment and recovery journey that promote stability. Tailored treatment and care planning can include services like peer support, case management, individual and group therapy, employment assistance and recovery housing, and community living navigation.
The array of substance use services offered encourages people to seek recovery through prevention, intervention, treatment and recovery support.
Substance use treatment services:
- Intensive residential services
- Supportive services (adult and youth)
- Outpatient (adult and youth)
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- Co-occurring psychiatric and substance use disorder (adult and youth)
- Specialized female services (adult and youth)
Substance use intervention services:
- Outreach, Screening, Assessment and Referral (OSAR) centers
- Pregnant and Parenting Intervention
- Parenting Awareness and Drug Risk Education (PADRE) services
- Rural Border Intervention Program
- Community Health Workers
Recovery support services:
- Community-Based Organizations
- Recovery Communities Organizations
- Treatment Organizations
- Youth Recovery Communities
To locate a funded substance use service, visit the HHSC treatment locater.
How to Become a Provider
- Substance Use Disorder Program Guide (PDF)
- The statements of work will be posted soon. Until then, providers can request a copy by emailing: SubstanceAbuse.Contracts@hhsc.state.tx.us
- Budget Schedules – Cost Reimbursement (Excel)
- Clinical Management for Behavioral Health Services Security Attestation Form (PDF)
- Texas Department of Family and Protective Services Memorandum of Understanding (MS Word)
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Request for Interpreter Services Form (Excel)
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Request for Interpreter Services Form Instructions (MS Word)
- PPI Quarterly Expenditure Report (Excel)
- Request for Budget/Program Adjustment – Cost Reimbursement (Excel)
- Request for Budget/Program Adjustment – Unit Rate (Excel)
- Clinic Request Form (Excel)
- Treatment Rate Sheet (Excel)
- 2021 HHSC Substance Use Disorder Financial Eligibility Sliding Scale (Excel)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- SAMHSA: Medication-Assisted Treatment
- Texas Certification Board of Addiction Professionals for Registered Peer Recovery Support Specialist/Recovery Coach/Peer Mentors
- Texas Recovery Support Service Pilot Project Report (PDF)
- SAMHSA TIP 42: Substance Abuse Treatment For Person with Co-Occurring Disorders
Rules and Statutes
Texas Administrative Code:
- Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 140, Subchapter I (relating to Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor Program)
- Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 229, Subchapter J (relating to Minimum Standards for Narcotic Treatment Programs)
- Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 441 (relating to General Provisions)
- Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 448 (relating to Standard of Care)
- Title 26, Part 1, Chapter 321 (relating to Substance Use Services)
- Title 26, Part 1, Chapter 8 (relating to Peer Assistance Programs for Impaired Professionals)
Substance Use Services Flyer
Texas Health and Human Services has developed a flyer that can be shared electronically to help individuals locate substance use services in their area.
For question about programs, policy, or planning email: Substance_Use_Disorder@hhsc.state.tx.us.
For questions about contracts, budgets or submitting reports, email: SubstanceAbuse.Contracts@hhsc.state.tx.us.