Long-term care providers in Texas are reminded to review their emergency preparedness and response plans before Atlantic hurricane season begins, which runs June 1–Nov. 30. LTC providers should make updates, if necessary.
Providers should factor in COVID-19 contingencies when reviewing their preparedness plans. For example, as applicable:
- Are your receiving facilities and transportation contracts still viable?
- If your provider type is allowed to evacuate to a hotel and that is in your plan, are hotels open in your destination?
- How will you maintain infection control measures during evacuation or sheltering-in-place?
- If you have COVID-19 positive persons in your facility, how will that affect evacuation or sheltering-in-place?
- How will you make sure personal protective equipment is available in addition to food and medicine?
Providers affected by an adverse event, such as severe weather, or expects it will need to temporarily exceed capacity due to a disaster, should contact their HHSC LTC Regulatory regional office.
Please refer to your program’s rules for more important information regarding emergency preparedness.