HHSC Long-term Care Regulation published a revised Medication Aides – Program Requirements Rule (26 TAC Ch. 557). It became effective Dec. 26.
The revised rule:
- Requires medication aides to submit fingerprints to the Texas Department of Public Safety for a criminal background check;
- Clarifies the use of online courses in medication aide training programs;
- Implements House Bill 1342 (86th Leg., Reg. Session, 2019), which eliminates certain grounds for disqualification for an occupational license based on prior criminal convictions that are unrelated to the duties and responsibilities of an occupational license;
- Implements Senate Bill 1200 (86th Leg., Reg. Session, 2019), which allows for military spouses who have occupational licensing from other states to engage in that occupation without obtaining an additional license by notifying the applicable state agency; and
- Implements H.B. 139, (87th Leg., Reg. Session, 2021), which added the term “Space Force” to the Occupations Code definition of Armed Forces.
The revisions also update rule references that became outdated when 40 TAC Chapter 19 was administratively transferred to 26 TAC Chapter 554, update terminology and remove outdated references for clarity and consistency.
For questions, email LTCR Policy.