The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services released QSO-20-29-NH (PDF). The memo informs nursing facilities about the following:
- On May 8, 2020, CMS will publish an interim final rule with comment period.
- Facilities must submit their first set of data by 11:59 p.m. Sunday, May 17, 2020.
- COVID-19 Reporting Requirements: CMS is requiring nursing homes to report COVID-19 facility data to the CDC and to residents, their representatives, and families of residents in facilities.
- Enforcement: Failure to report in accordance with 42 CFR §483.80(g) can result in an enforcement action.
- Updated Survey Tools: CMS has updated the COVID-19 Focused Survey for Nursing Homes, Entrance Conference Worksheet, COVID-19 Focused Survey Protocol, and Summary of the COVID-19 Focused Survey for Nursing Homes to reflect COVID-19 reporting requirements.
- COVID-19 Tags: F884 and F885.
- Transparency: CMS will begin posting data from the CDC National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) for viewing by facilities, stakeholders, or the general public. The COVID-19 public use file will be available on https://data.cms.gov/.