F-1710, General Policy

Revision 15-4; Effective October 1, 2015

An applicant or recipient must be enrolled in an institution of higher education located in Texas to receive Former Foster Care in Higher Education (FFCHE) health care benefits. The applicant/recipient may be attending school half-time or full-time. There is no requirement regarding the number of hours the student must be taking. The following are considered institutions of higher education:

  • college (public or private),
  • community college,
  • junior college,
  • technical institute, and
  • university.

Note: Trade schools such as beauty schools or mechanic schools do not meet the definition of an institution of higher education.