E-2210, How to Report a Change

Revision 15-4; Effective October 1, 2015

Customer Care Center (CCC) staff process all changes for Former Foster Care Children (FFCC) recipients. FFCC recipients can report changes:

  • online through YourTexasBenefits.com;
  • by visiting a local eligibility office;
  • in writing by mail or fax;
  • by completing Form H1019, Report of Change; or
  • by calling 2-1-1.

Note: When a change is reported by telephone, staff must verify that the person speaking is the individual or an authorized representative as explained in A-2000, Identifying Applicants Interviewed by Phone and Prevention of Duplicate Participation.

An individual must report the following changes:

  • if the individual moves out state,
  • an address change, or
  • enrollment in health insurance.

Advisors process all other changes, including agency-generated changes, at the next renewal.

Exception: If the individual failed to report required information at the time of the application that causes the individual to be ineligible for FFCC, advisors must deny the benefits and send a fraud referral to the Office of the Inspector General.