The following fingerprinting instruction sheets replace FAST Pass forms.
- Child Care Regulation (PDF)
- Residential Licensing Foster or Adoptive Parent (PDF)
- General Residential Operation, Child Placing Agency Staff, Licensed Administrators or Applicants, or RCCL Foster/Adoptive Household Members or Visitors (PDF)
- Out-of-State Applicants (PDF)
Background Check Instructions
Please see the Child Care Regulation’s Guide to Understanding Your Background Check (PDF) for basic background check questions and information.
Texas fingerprinting vendor ldentoGO's website provides a simple and mobile-friendly experience for scheduling fingerprinting.
- IdentoGo Office Appointment Availability (PDF) Note: The most recent appointment availability report for June 6, 2021 will be the last report available since all IdentoGO locations are currently open.
Applicants wearing face masks to the fingerprint appointment: As part of the fingerprint process, DPS requires applicants to take a photo. Applicants who wear face masks to their appointment will be informed prior to starting the appointment, that it will be necessary to remove the face mask for the photo. IdentoGO staff have been advised to maintain 6 feet distance when possible. If the applicant refuses to remove their mask, they will be asked to reschedule their appointment at a later time.
This process requires a six-digit Service Code instead of an Originating Agency Identification number when scheduling your appointment.
FBI Fingerprinting Fees
- The total fingerprinting fee is $39.75 to apply for a paid position.
- The total fee is $37.75 to apply for an unpaid position – such as a volunteer, household member, or foster/adoptive parent.
The fee is paid at the fingerprint appointment, and must be paid with a business check, money order, credit card or payment coupon code issued by the fingerprint vendor - no personal checks. See the forms section of the vendor's website for more information on credit-card-backed accounts and payment coupon codes.
Child care operations must email IdentoGO's billing department to set up a credit-card-backed account. The instructions for creating an account and the required paperwork can be found in the Forms and Links section at the bottom of the IdentoGO website.
More information about fees can be found here.
How to Request an FBI Background Check
HHSC requires an email address or phone number when requesting an FBI background check. Enter the subject of the background check’s email address or phone number in the field called "Person's Contact Method for Fingerprint Scheduling.”
HHS also requires an email address when requesting a background check using:
- The Child Care Regulation Provider Account website
- HHSC software applications, including CLASS
- Background check request forms
ID Requirements for Fingerprinting
The Texas Department of Public Safety website provides links to the agency's list of acceptable documents you can use to verify your identity. Please see the List of Documents to Prove Identity for Fingerprinting (PDF).
Fingerprinting is required for children ages 14 - 17 years if they live in a:
- Home-based child care and have lived out of state in the last five years
- Residential care operation
- Foster/adoptive home
Minors must arrive at the scheduled fingerprinting appointment with their parent or legal guardian. To verify a minor's identity, parents or legal guardians can use either:
- A document from the List of Documents to Prove Identity for Fingerprinting (PDF).
- One of the documents listed in the Identification Requirements for Minor Fingerprinting Applicants (PDF) document, AND the Texas Photo ID Waiver for Minors form which is included in the Identification Requirements document.
If a minor applicant uses the Texas Photo ID Waiver for Minors form, parents or legal guardians must bring the waiver and the required identification documents for the minor to the appointment.
Note: The Texas Photo ID Waiver for Minors must be filled out in the presence of the IdentoGo Enrollment Agent, who will then take the minor's fingerprints.
How to Find Your Service Code
If the operation provided an email for the Person's Method of Contact for Fingerprint Scheduling, the subject of the background check will receive an email from the fingerprinting vendor that contains the required service code. If the subject of the background check doesn’t receive the email or the operation entered a phone number instead of an email address, use the steps and chart below to obtain the required Service Code:
- Find your role in the first column of the Service Codes Chart (see below).
- Answer the financial compensation question, if applicable.
- Click on the Service Code link in the corresponding row to be redirected to the fingerprinting vendor's website to schedule a fingerprint appointment.
- Go to the IdentoGO website and enter the Service Code on the first screen. Then, click "Go" to continue scheduling a fingerprint appointment.
To schedule an appointment over the phone, call 888-467-2080, and provide the service code.
|Operation Type||ORI Number||Are you a Frequent/Regular Visitor, Volunteer or Unverified Respite Provider?||Service Code|
|Child Care Licensing||TX922250Z||No||11BBY3|
|Child Care Licensing||TX922250Z||Yes||11BF2V|
|Residential Child Care Licensing Foster / Adoptive Parents||TXAWA000Z||No||11BR9Q|
|Residential Child Care Licensing
General Residential Operation
Child Placing Agency Staff
|Residential Child Care Licensing
Foster/Adoptive Household Members or Visitors
General Residential Operation
Scheduling Your Fingerprint Appointment Online
- After you enter the correct Service Code, click on "Schedule an Appointment."
- On the next screen, select either the "UEID / Date of Birth" or "Name / Method of Contact" option.
What is a Universal Enrollment Identification Number?
This number is a unique identifying number that's assigned when you request an FBI check. A UEID number may be used to:
- Schedule a fingerprint appointment.
- Check the status of a fingerprinting appointment.
- Track the status of fingerprints to see if they were processed or rejected.
Choosing the "UEID / Date of Birth" option is the better option. If the operation entered an email address as your "Method of Contact for Fingerprint Scheduling", you'll get an email containing your UEID from the fingerprinting vendor.
If you didn't receive the email, you can contact your Child Care Regulation operation or email the CBCU to obtain your UEID.
If you choose "Name / Method of Contact", enter the following information:
- Full Legal Name
- Date of Birth
- Method of Contact
This information must match what you entered when you requested the background check.
- Verify and enter additional details on the next several screens.
- Schedule a fingerprint appointment at the nearest enrollment center.
When an individual is unable to leave his/her place of residence due to a physical disability, the individual may be eligible to be fingerprinted using the homebound process. This process requires the individual or family member to request Form 2856 Homebound Fingerprint Request from the Centralized Background Check Unit, complete it and submit it to the Contact CBCU mailbox.
If the request is approved:
- A Department of Family and Protective Services Children Protective Services program director sends staff to collect the fingerprints where the applicant lives.
- HHSC CBCU staff contacts the applicant and family to help them register and pay for fingerprinting using the vendor's website.
- DFPS CPS staff sends the fingerprint card to HHSC CBCU.
- HHSC CBCU mails everything to the fingerprint vendor for processing.
If you don't want to schedule online, you can schedule by calling 888-467-2080. For questions, please contact your HHSC CBCU representative.
If you are experiencing difficulty scheduling a fingerprint appointment, and you have followed the instructions listed above, please contact IdentoGO at 888-467-2080. You may contact your HHSC CBCU representative or email ContactCBCU@hhsc.state.tx.us to report any customer service issues you are unable to resolve with IdentoGO regarding scheduling a fingerprint appointment, such as excessive delays, last-minute cancellations, or sudden office closures.
When contacting the HHSC CBCU, please include the following information:
- The name of the person (or persons, if you are requesting for multiple people) who need the appointment.
- The location for the appointment.
- Date for the appointment.
- Your contact information.
For more information regarding the use of IdentoGO to complete fingerprinting, please see “Why does DFPS use IdentoGO to submit fingerprints electronically?” on the CCL Background Check FAQs – Fingerprinting page.