Because the demand for community-based services and supports often outweighs available resources, applicant's names may be placed on an interest list until services are available. However, some needs may be met through other programs until an applicant's name comes to the top of the list. People can receive Medicaid or other community services while they are on the interest list, if they are eligible. Receiving other services does not impact a person's place on an interest list. For information about how to apply for services, please visit: https://apps.hhs.texas.gov/contact/search.cfm.
Applicants are placed on interest lists on a first-come, first-served basis. Allocations are based on available funding. People who have been on the interest lists the longest are enrolled first. When a person's name comes to the top of the list, he or she will be contacted by an state office or Local Intellectual or Developmental Disability Authority representative.
HHSC received approval from the 87th Texas Legislature (2021, Regular Session) to serve additional persons from the Medicaid interest lists. Senate Bill 1 provides authority for HHSC to spend an additional $76.9 million in general revenue funds to address the interest lists.
The following programs have interest lists:
- Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS)
- Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD)
- Home and Community-based Services (HCS)
- Texas Home Living (TxHmL)
- Medically Dependent Children's Program (MDCP)
- STAR+PLUS Home and Community Based Services Program (STAR+PLUS HCBS)
For information about how to apply for services, visit the Services website.
For information about how to be added to the interest list, please contact your Local Intellectual or Development Disability Authority (for HCS and TxHmL) or by calling 1-877-438-5658 for other waiver programs.
Enrollment for the 2022-23 Biennium
HHSC began releasing people from the interest list in September 2021 to be assessed for eligibility and enrollment in waiver program. HHSC was approved to fill 1,549 new slots for the following programs during the biennium.
|Program||Legislative Allocation for 2022-2023|
|Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS)||381|
|Deaf-Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD||6|
|Home and Community-based Services (HCS)||542|
|Texas Home Living (TxHmL)||471|
|Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP)||42|
|STAR+PLUS Home and Community Based Services (STAR+PLUS HCBS)||42|
|Total of allocations||1,549|
HHSC will provide biannual updates about progress filling these new slots.
In addition to releasing the HCS interest list reduction slots described above, HHSC will also continue to use attrition slots in HCS to meet the needs of people with intellectual or developmental disabilities in crisis situations and transitioning from institutions including nursing facilities and state supported living centers. Attrition slots are created when previously funded HCS slots are permanently discharged by a person after their enrollment.
HHSC will provide biannual updates about the progress of enrollments for both allocated and attrition slots.
2022-23 Interest List Reporting
Senate Bill 1, 87th Legislature, Regular Session, 2021 (Article II, Health and Human Services Commission, Rider 19) requires HHSC to post the following information for waiver programs with interest lists:
- interest list releases;
- interest list counts, by years on list;
- average number of individuals on the interest list per month;
- average number of individuals on the interest list receiving other services per month; and
- percent declined services or found to be ineligible for services at the end of the fiscal year.
HHSC provides monthly counts of this information. At the end of the fiscal year, HHSC will post the monthly averages of individuals on the interest list, the monthly average of the number of individuals on an interest list receiving other services, and the percent of individuals who declined services or were found to be ineligible.
|Previous Biennium Counts||As of August 31, 2021||76,578||1,157||109,300||8,708||24,069||95,758||315,570|
|Released/Removed from Interest List 2||Enrolled 4||278||0||332||12||237||26||885|
|Total Releases This Biennium3||Since September 1, 2021||3,275||64||609||8,666||341||12,955|
|Added This Biennium||New Requests||1,312||61||1,476||521||4,875||1,389||9,634|
|Current Interest List Counts||As of November 30, 2021||77,251||1,207||110,009||8,605||23,545||96,903||317,520|
- HCS and TxHmL counts for Released/Removed and Total Releases are derived from CARE data source, and provided by Local Authority staff.
- Released/Removed counts include individuals already in the pipeline as of August 31, 2021, excluding MFP.
- An individual may be counted more than once in the Enrolled and Denied/Declined/Withdrawn categories, but only once in Total Releases. Therefore, Release/Removal counts may be higher than the total count of released individuals.
- These totals count unique individuals with close codes in this category, who also had a release date (except HCS and TxHmL, see note 1).
The total of Current Interest List Counts in the above table is a duplicated count. The unduplicated count across all six Interest Lists is: 173,339.
|Years on List||CLASS||DBMD||HCS||MDCP||STAR+||TxHmL|
|Program||Individuals on Interest List||Receiving DADS Services||% Receiving DADS Services||Receiving SSI||Receiving SSI or DADS Service|
|Unable to Locate||15||2.2%||0||-||43||10.8%||0||-||10||1.1%||1||2.1%|