Continuing Education

Requirements for LCDC License Renewal

The counselor intern registration may not be renewed; therefore, no Continuing Education is required for counselor interns.

All continuing education hours must be specific to substance use disorders and their treatment or related to chemical dependency counseling as defined by the dimensions of knowledge, skills and attitudes. Related education hours can include courses in psychology, sociology, counseling, mental health, behavioral science, psychiatric nursing, ethics and rehabilitation counseling.

Continuing education hours must include at least three hours of ethics training and at least six hours of training (total) in HIV, Hepatitis C and sexually transmitted diseases. If a person's job duties include clinical supervision, required hours of continuing education must include three hours of clinical supervision training.

A licensee who teaches a qualifying continuing education course must receive the same number of hours as students attending the course. Only one set of hours can be accrued for a single curriculum and no more than one half of the required amount of Continuing Education hours licensed will be granted for courses taught by the applicant.

Specific Number of Continuing Education Hours Required for Each Two-Year Renewal Period — Effective Sept. 1, 2007

An LCDC who holds a master's degree or other advanced degree must complete at least 24 hours of continuing education during each two-year licensure period. The 24 hours of education must include the specific courses required by rule (see above).

An LCDC who does not hold a master's degree or other advanced degree must complete at least 40 hours of continuing education.

Continuing Education hours submitted in excess of your required amount will not be carried over to your next renewal.

Link to the Continuing Education rules according to Texas Administrative Code

Find a Continuing Education Provider

Subject to department review, the department will accept continuing education credits from:

For counselors who live out of state, the department will also accept continuing education hours approved by other state and Federal agencies.