Due to the current situation of COVID-19, email applications and forms to Regulatory NATCEP.
Read our COVID-19 Info sheet (PDF) for more information about the COVID-19 situation.
As of September 1, 2020, Pearson VUE will no longer deliver Texas Nurse Aide examinations. Check the Prometric website for Texas exam updates.
Texas Health and Human Services reviews and approves or disapproves nurse aide training and competency evaluation programs and nurse aide competency evaluation programs.
To contact the NATCEP, please call 512-438-2017.
Any person or entity that wants to offer a NATCEP must receive approval from HHS.
Each NATCEP must provide a minimum of 100 clock hours of training, including:
- 60 clock hours of classroom training that doesn't involve direct resident care
- 40 clock hours of hands-on resident care in a nursing facility
Each NATCEP must teach the HHS-established curriculum, including:
- At least 16 introductory hours of training in the following areas before direct client contact:
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Infection control
- Safety and emergency procedures, including the Heimlich maneuver
- Promoting residents' independence
- Respecting residents' rights
- Personal care skills
- Basic nursing skills
- Mental health and social service needs
- Care of cognitively impaired residents
- Basic restorative services
- Residents' rights
A facility may not provide NATCEP training if, within the previous two years, it:
- Operated under a waiver under 42 United States Code, relating to the services of a registered nurse
- Has been subject to an extended (or partial extended) survey under 42 USC
- Has been assessed a civil money penalty of not less than $5,000
- Has been subject to denial of payment or appointment of temporary management
Nurse aides renewing their certification are required to complete 24 hours of in-service education every two years. All approved NATCEPs are eligible to offer in-service education. If you are interested in offering this training, complete page 4 of Form 5514-NATCEP, Application, for Nurse Aide Training and Competency Evaluation Program, and submit to the address on the application. Also, all non-facility based NATCEPs are required to obtain additional approval through the Texas Workforce Commission. Please contact TWC at 512-936-3100.
NATCEPs are required to check both the Employee Misconduct Registry and the Nurse Aide Registry and to conduct a criminal history background check for all applicants. Applicants found to be listed on the EMR, or who are listed on the NAR in "revoked" status, or who have a criminal history that would bar employment in a HHS-licensed facility or agency are prohibited from enrolling in a nurse aide training program.
Military Members, Spouses and Veterans
The State of Texas recognizes the contributions of our military service members, their spouses, and veterans.
Military service members or veterans may have met some licensing requirements as a result of their military service or other training, knowledge, and experience. Military spouses of current, active duty military service members may also have met some licensing requirements related to this status. Modifications to renewal requirements may also be available for some military service members on active duty.
For more information regarding special licensure provisions military service members, military veterans, or military spouses may qualify for, please see Senate Bill 1307, 84th Regular Legislative Session, 2015, which you may view online at: https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/84R/billtext/pdf/SB01307F.pdf.
Military personnel, their spouses, and veterans who are interested in the nurse aide occupation and would like additional information regarding requirements may email email@example.com or call 512-438-2017.
We extend our heartfelt thanks to military service members, veterans, and their families for their dedicated service to the United States of America and to the State of Texas.
Statutes and Rules
The Nurse Aide rules are found in the Texas Administrative Code, Title 26, Part 1, Chapter 556.