Licensing, Credentialing & Regulation

Out-of-State Occupational Licenses of Military Spouses

Texas Health and Human Services recognizes out-of-state occupational licenses for certain military spouses. Read More.

Child Care Licensing

Texas Health and Human Services permits and monitors all child-care operations and child-placing agencies for compliance with state licensing standards, rules and laws.

Employability Checks

Long-term care facilities and agencies must check an applicant’s criminal history, Nurse Aide Registry status and Employee Misconduct Registry.

The purpose of criminal background checks is to ensure that HHS verifies and interprets information for those participating in long-term care programs. Questions can be directed to 512-438-2585.

  • Employee Misconduct Registry – Contains the names of unlicensed personnel who have committed acts of abuse, neglect, exploitation, misappropriation or misconduct against residents and consumers to ensure they are denied employment in HHS-regulated facilities and by HHS-regulated agencies.
  • Nurse Aide Registry – All nurse aides and nurse aide candidates are required to register in the credential management system.
  • Employability Status Check Search – This search returns results from both the Nurse Aide Registry and Employee Misconduct Registry. It is used when checking on the employability of nurse aides.
  • Texas Department of Public Safety Crime Record Service – This system administers programs that include those used in pre-employment searches on people who work with people who are elderly or who have disabilities.

Long-term Care Credentialing

Long-term Care Licensing

The following long-term care providers must be licensed to operate in Texas:


Medicaid Provider Enrollment – All providers that want to participate in state health-care programs must enroll in Texas Medicaid.

Professional Licensing and Certification