Find nurse aide registries in other states. View the list (PDF).
Texas Health and Human Services maintains a registry of all nurse aides who are certified to provide services in nursing facilities and skilled nursing facilities licensed by the agency. To send applications and forms, email the Nurse Aide Registry.
HHSC Published Provider Letter 2023-14 Web-based Licensure System for Nurse Aides and Medication Aides
HHSC published Provider Letter 2023-14 Web-based Licensure System for Nurse Aides and Medication Aides (PDF). This PL announces that effective July 5, 2023, nurse aides, medication aides, NATCEPs, and providers will complete all licensing applications in TULIP, and provides important dates and information related to TULIP’s benefits and features, as well as instructions for making a successful transition to the TULIP Online Licensure Application System.
Nurse Aide and Med Aide TULIP Transition Grace Period
Nurse Aides (NAs) and Medication Aides (MAs) are now required to use the new credentialing system in the Texas Unified Licensure Information Portal (TULIP) for certification or permitting activities.
However, HHSC is extending a grace period for all NAs and MAs to allow users time to learn and understand the new credentialing system. Therefore, all NAs and MAs with certifications or permits active on June 16, 2023, will be considered active until Oct. 31, 2023.
All NAs and MAs who submitted renewals via the existing paper and email process on or before July 5, 2023 (date the new credentialing system went live in TULIP), will be processed based on that submission date. All other NAs and MAs should submit a renewal application in TULIP.
Announcement Nurse Aide online system
As of 07/05/2023, nurse aides and applicants for nurse aide certification will apply via Texas Unified License Information Portal (TULIP), a web-based licensure system designed specifically for licensed long-term care providers and licensees. TULIP will allow Nurse Aides to complete all certification and application functions online. For assistance with using TULIP, see user guide link on the TULIP landing page.
Check nurse aide registry status. We no longer provide written verification of Certified Nurse Aides. This website will assist with verifying the status.
- Nurse aides renewing their certification are required to complete 24 hours of in-service education every 2 years. NAR Approved In-Service Education Programs has a list of approved programs. Nurse aides may complete 12 of the required 24 hours of in-service education in a healthcare entity other than a facility licensed or certified by HHS, the Texas Department of State Health Services or the Texas Board of Nursing.
- List of Convictions Barring Employment or Disqualifying a person from HHSC Licensure as a Nurse Aide or Medication Aide (PDF)
The following are the definitions of the statuses used in the system:
- Active — The nurse aide's registration is active. The nurse aide is currently employable as a nurse aide in a licensed nursing facility in the state of Texas.
- Expired — The nurse aide's registration is expired. To renew registry status, the nurse aide must provide verification of qualifying employment. If the person is unable to verify employment, he or she will have to re-train and/or re-test. The nurse aide is currently not employable as a nurse aide in a licensed nursing facility in the state of Texas.
- Revoked — The nurse aide's registration is revoked. Because substantiated findings of abuse, neglect, or misappropriation of resident property have been entered on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry, this individual is not employable as a nurse aide in a licensed nursing facility in the state of Texas.
- Suspended — The nurse aide's registration is suspended. Because the nurse aide is listed as unemployable in the EMR, this individual is not employable in a HHS regulated facility or agency.
Providers can verify nurse aide employability using the Employability Status Check Search. This website consolidates checks of the Nurse Aide Registry and other systems. Verifying a nurse aide's status through the Employability Status Check Search is the equivalent of using the NAR and is considered in compliance with all applicable federal regulations and state licensure laws.
Allegations of Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation
HHS also reviews and investigates allegations of abuse, neglect or misappropriation of resident property by nurse aides. If there's a finding of an alleged act of abuse, neglect or misappropriation, the nurse aide may request both an informal reconsideration and a formal hearing before the finding is placed on the registry.
Veterans, Military Members and Spouses
The state of Texas recognizes the contributions of our military service members and their spouses and veterans.
Military service members or veterans may have met some licensing requirements as a result of their military service or other training, knowledge and experience. Military spouses of current active duty military service members also may have met some licensing requirements related to this status. Modifications to renewal requirements may also be available for some military service members on active duty.
Military personnel and their spouses and veterans who are interested in the nurse aide occupation and would like additional information regarding requirements may email HHS or call 512-438-2050.
We extend our heartfelt thanks to military service members, veterans, and their families for their dedicated service to the United States of America and to the state of Texas.
About Regulatory Services
Professional Credentialing Enforcement
Nurse aide enforcement activities are conducted by the Professional Credentialing Enforcement unit and include:
- Coordinating due process related to referrals of misconduct by a nurse aide that occur in nursing facilities
- Entering findings of abuse, neglect, and misappropriation of resident property, as appropriate
Call 512-438-5495 for more information.
Nursing Facility Administrator Licensing Branch
Nurse aide registration (certification) activities are conducted by the Nursing Facility Administrator Licensing Branch and include:
- Approving and monitoring nurse aide training and competency evaluation programs
- Issuing and continuing nurse aide registrations, including oversight of nurse aide testing development and administration
Nurse Aide - Joint Training Opportunities.
TULIP Walkthrough CBT – Overview, Registration and Login, CNA Application Renewal, Application for Examination, Facility Security, Requesting a Retest.