Revision 23-1; Effective Dec. 20, 2023

6110 Assigning an Enhanced Community Coordination (ECC) Coordinator

Revision 23-1; Effective Dec. 20, 2023

When the habilitation coordinator notifies the appropriate local intellectual and developmental disability authority (LIDDA) staff that a person or legally authorized representative (LAR) wants to transition to the community and has selected a community program, the LIDDA must assign an ECC coordinator to begin transition planning with the person and LAR.

Within seven calendar days after notification by the habilitation coordinator:

  • the LIDDA assigns an ECC coordinator to the person and ensures the assigned ECC coordinator is identified in the Client Assignment and Registration system (CARE) screen 490; and
  • the assigned ECC coordinator meets in person with the person and LAR to describe the transition planning process and gain an understanding of the person’s and LAR’s perspective of community living.

6110.1 Unassigning an ECC Coordinator

Revision 23-1; Effective Dec. 20, 2023

If, during transition planning, a person indicates that they are no longer interested in transitioning to the community, the LIDDA unassigns the ECC coordinator and ensures the un-assignment is reflected in CARE screen 490.

Before being unassigned, the ECC coordinator notifies the relocation specialist (RS) and the habilitation coordinator that the person is no longer interested in transitioning to the community.

6120 Working with the Relocation Specialist

Revision 23-1; Effective Dec. 20, 2023

The ECC coordinator reviews the relocation assessment and evaluation and contacts the RS and managed care organization (MCO) service coordinator (SC) to invite them to service planning team (SPT) meetings for transition planning. The RS becomes a member of the SPT.

Note: The MCO SC is already an SPT member and is invited to all SPT meetings unless the person objects. The habilitation coordinator should ask the person or LAR, if applicable, directly whether they are okay with or object to the MCO service coordinator’s attendance at interdisciplinary team (IDT) and service planning team (SPT) meetings and must document evidence of this discussion in the person’s record. 

6130 Relocation Specialist and MCO SC Responsibilities

Revision 23-1; Effective Dec. 20, 2023

The MCO SC and RS, as members of the SPT, assist a person with accessing:

  • housing, transportation, medical, dental and prescriptions, depending on the program the person chooses; and
  • Supplemental Transition Support (STS) funding if the person qualifies.

STS is available to pay for essential items not covered by Transition Assistance Services (TAS), which is a waiver program service. STS may be used when TAS funds have been exhausted. The RS will provide the ECC coordinator with a copy of the completed STS form signed by the MCO, the RS and the ECC coordinator.

Note: For people transitioning to the Home and Community-based Services (HCS) program, the ECC coordinator is responsible for completing and submitting the assessment for TAS funding. For people transitioning to the Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS), Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD) or Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) (STAR+PLUS Waiver) program, the RS is responsible for completing and submitting the assessment for TAS funding.

The MCO SC and RS are required to be present at the person's new address on relocation day to ensure all services are in place and to assist in setting up the household, as needed. The ECC coordinator is encouraged to be there as well.

6140 Enhanced Community Coordination Funds 

Revision 23-1; Effective Dec. 20, 2023

Enhanced community coordination (ECC) funds are available to LIDDAs through the performance contract for a person who is transitioning to the community. The purpose of the funds is to enhance a person’s natural supports and promote successful community living. Funds are intended to pay for:

  • one-time emergency assistance, such as:
    • rental or utility assistance;
    • nutritional supplements;
    • clothing; and
    • medication;
  • items to address a person's special needs, including minor home modifications not funded by other sources;
  • transportation to and from trial visits with community providers; and
  • educational tuition assistance, such as vocational programs through community colleges so a person can develop job skills.

A LIDDA should contact to discuss processes and how to access funds prior to any purchases.